Thursday, January 07, 2010

De Anza Week Jan 4, 2010

Mon Jan 4, 2010

I continue to favor the quarter system instead of the semester system. The first day of classes started today. Hopefully I remembered everything I learned in Financial Acct 1A. Another reason I like the quarter system is the academic year continues without a long vacation. I'm more likely to remember what I learned in Fall quarter. I read an article on the American education system. Teachers spent at least six weeks in the beginning of the new school year reviewing material from the last school year. The semester system has a longer winter break.

I woke up early to make sure I find a parking space. I woke up too early. There were plenty of parking spaces. I took the longest way to school to avoid traffic. There was no traffic. Perhaps it's because it's the Winter Quarter and not the Fall Quarter. I get extra sleep for Wed's classes.

The Peachtree Software class is self-taught. The instructor allowed students to complete their assignments at home. The classroom is in a section in the computer lab. I got my user ID for the computer lab. I read and practice at home and complete the assignments in the computer lab. I need a memory stick to save my assignments. And the instructor is left handed.

Following Peachtree is my Financial Accounting 1B class. The instructor came from India in 1984 and has taught at De Anza since 2002. It appears she's popular because the class is full and there were a few students who took her 1A class. I sometimes watch The People's Court. You actually learn something watching the show. It helped me answer two questions during the lecture, lol. She has a break halfway in the class meeting. We shall see what happens.

I ate lunch at Panda Express across the street. I went to the bookstore after lunch. There was a line to enter. I purchased my Acct 1B class. It was cheaper buying at the bookstore. On the other hand, for my Peachtree and my Business and Payroll classes, I'm going to try Amazon tonight. The Business and Payroll cost $147 $-(

I checked my Winter '10 schedule and I could have arrived late to my Business and Payroll Tax class. I thought the class started at 6:30pm. It actually started at 6pm. I arrived on time. The instructor taught accounting classes for a long time. She is an IRS agent. I didn't get her email one week before class containing the green sheet and exam schedule. After class, we verified my email address. It seems to be good. She doesn't have a 10 minute break in the middle of class.

My Peachtree and Financial Accounting 1B class are Mon and Wed. My Business and Payroll Tax is Mon night. The Financial and Payroll classes the instructor uses the book for their lectures. I bring my books to class even thought I don't like bringing books the class.

Tue Jan 5, 2010

I purchased my Peachtree, Payroll, and singing classes textbooks at amazon.com. I saved $35.

The singing class was different than I expected. We have to memorize songs and sing for the mid-term and final. We have to buy additional books and a CD. There were students who are taking the class for the fourth time. There is practicing required outside class. I should have expected practicing singing everyday. I start with drilling. Thank goodness I know basic piano. I'm going to own a piano when I buy my house. Obviously, singing is a low priority compared to my accounting classes.

Wed Jan 6, 2010

Winter '10 is going to be fast. Really fast. Control what you can control. Don't control what you can't control. There are lots of mid-terms, homework, and quizzes. The mid-terms are about every two weeks. Take nothing for granted. And here I'm trying to keep my life from going at light speed. It's going to be hard to do. Moreover, how about the students who work to pay the bills? That's another discussion.

In addition, I feel tired and grumpy. I believe the reason is I haven't been eating good since Sun. I am what I eat, and that includes my mood, behavior, and attitude.

I arrived at De Anza at 9:15am. Plenty of parking. That's a change from San Jose State where the garages were full around this time. Traffic was light. Unfortunately, I got one green light and the rest were red lights.

I cut my Peachtree class today because I don't have the book. Amazon emailed me my textbooks are being delivered. I spent the morning at the Campus Center and in the library surfing the web.

Note on parking. The parking garage was full around 12:30pm. I went back to my car to get my Financial Accounting 1B textbook.

My last class of the week is Social Dance at night time. There were lots of newbies and few students from Fall '09. We're going to learn the West Coast Swing. WTF?!? Next week, fewer students. I talked to the student who suggested the singing class. She said not to fear. The instructor is good and helpful to beginners.

Students including me and the teachers were settling in to the new quarter. Many students and even my teachers were tired and continued to be in adjust mode after the holidays. I'm fortunate I have classes three days a week. I'm going to need two more weeks to fully adjust to the new quarter. The rest of the week I work on my homework and study for the 1B quiz.

I Continue To Find Myself Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: