Saturday, October 01, 2016

Top Ten Movies I Watched As A Child I Appreciate As An Adult

I didn't understand the world when I was a child. There was much to learn. Watching movies was one way to learn. My below life knowledge and below life experience were a hindrance from fully understanding movies. I understand correctly today with wisdom, knowledge, and experience. I appreciate these movies reflecting what I missed when I was a child. Here are the top ten movies I watched as a child I appreciate as an adult:

10. Norma Rae. A textile worker unionized her textile factory. The factory's working conditions was intolerable. I realized one theme the movie depicted blue collar workers with below average intelligence living ordinary lives without purpose.

9. The Day After and WarGames. I combined the two movies because they involved nuclear war. I dreamed the night after watching The Day After we survived the nuclear war as walking ashes. Nobody died. I rewatched the movie as an adult everybody dies in a nuclear war. The movie did a good job depicting a nuclear war fallout.

I enjoyed the video game like launching nuclear missiles in the climax scene in WarGames. WarGames' tagline is "The only winning move is not to play." I realized as an adult every country is destroyed in a nuclear war. No country launches a first strike nuclear missile.

8. Good Morning Vietnam. I laughed at Robin Williams' jokes even though I understood a few of them. The movie depicted censorship.

7. Star Trek II. I remember watching the movie when we had cable. It was my first Star Trek movie. I sat on the sofa during the entire movie. I realized Star Trek II was considered one of the top two Star Trek movies when I became more informed of the Star Trek franchise.

6. More Sci-Fi movies. The Black Hole, Star Wars IV-VI, The Terminator, and Aliens. Watching these movies as an adult I appreciate more on the plot, special effects, storyline, and acting. I cared about the shooting and the stunts as a kid.

5. Beverly Hills Cop. Funny jokes, great action, and a memorable opening scene. The movie was Eddie Murphy's breakout acting career. Everyone needs a major break to become successful at anything in life.

4. Falling Down. I watched the movie as a violent man having a bad day when I was young. The movie was ahead of its time. Michael Douglas was a defense worker with no purpose in life taking his frustrations out on innocent people. My favorite scene was his briefcase containing his lunch meaning he does nothing at work.

3. E.T. The Extra Terrestrial. An alien was abandoned on earth, a child befriended the alien, and the child helped the alien go home. I wished I had the child's courage when I was in grade school.

2. Colors. Los Angeles gang life from the police officer point of view. The movie was more than police officers protecting people from gang members. The movie was ahead of time. Drugs, drive-by shooting, gangs vs. gangs, and being professional. Most of the movie is true today.

1. Stand By Me. I watched the movie seeing four kids with too much time in their hands as a child. They took a weekend trip to find a dead body. I realized Stand By Me was my first coming of age movie as an adult. The four kids were mischiefs. I wished I had their life wisdom when I was a child because they were wiser than my childhood.

Email: feedbackininblog@innovateinfinitely.com

No comments: