Monday, August 17, 2020

A Sane Person Can Be A Loser

A partial weird dream last night. I was at a medium sized party organized by my dad. The party took place at a banquet hall. Round dinner tables. Most of the party attendees were middle aged. One man in his 60s shaved my right leg with a buck knife. Clean shave. There was no pain. The man worked at the company where I got my first job after I graduated at San Jose State University. He was a Senior Associate commercial real estate broker employed for ten years. He started working in commercial real estate in his 50s. I asked the man his prior jobs. The man replied he worked at five jobs in five different industries. I said, "Oh okay," or something like that. The man explained his five previous jobs he lost interest. I thought in the back of my mind he was a loser.

I woke up. I thought about the dream lying in my bed for minutes. Was the man in his 60s a loser? The man couldn't keep a job. He worked. He hated the job. He quit. He worked another job in another industry. He hated the job. He quit. Repeated three more times. On the other hand, was the man sane? I refer the sane question to my last blog Steve Jobs Compilation Blog on Aug 12, 2020. Jobs said people must find what they love. If people don't find what they love, they quit because they're sane. The partial quote, "So if you don't love it, if you're not having fun doing it, you don't really love it, you're gonna give up. And that's what happens to most people actually. If you really look at the ones that ended up being successful *in air quotes* in the eyes of society, and the ones that didn't, oftentimes, it's the ones that are successful loved what they did so they can persevere when it got really tough, and the ones that didn't love it quit cause they're sane."

Can a sane person be a loser? Is the question valid? Is quitting five jobs because he or she doesn't love their jobs a definition of a loser?

No comments: