Saturday, September 26, 2020

Top Ten Plus Two Equals Top Twelve Reasons Working At Blockbuster Video Was Great

I worked at Blockbuster Video when I was a college student. It was my first retail job. Most people say working in retail sucked. It did when I was a young adult. I think back as a wiser grown adult. I think back being more educated. Today's blog is an example I can't change the past for better or for worse. I can change my opinion. Working at Blockbuster Video was great. I was fortunate the store manager accepted my part-time schedule being a full-time student. Here are the top twelve reasons working at Blockbuster Video was great:

12. The Square Person. Every group of people must have the square person. I was the square employee. Every group of people must have the naive person. I was the naive employee, too. Every group of people must have a slow person--not necessarily the slowest person in the world. Fortunately, I wasn't the slow person. The manager assigned the slow person two hours of work every week or every month.

A square person and/or a naive person is acceptable as long as he, she, or they have a good relationship with the group.

11. Honestly. There is no point being another person. Every worker and every manager were being themselves. There is no reason to fake it. Retail is low. I answer what is low and how low in number one.

10. Dress Shirts And Ties. All the male workers wore buttoned up dress-up shirts and ties on Fri night shifts. The store manager scheduled Fri night all males 90% of the time. I purchased one of my dress-up shirts at Mervyns.

9. Store Manager Pro-Employee. The store manager fixed problems fast. The store manager resolved employee complaints. For instance, one assistant manager lived a life full of drama taking out her stress on all employees. Employees complained. The assistant manager was transferred. My friends told me retail managers don't care. They were correct. My store manager was an outlier.

8. First Time Perks. Blockbuster offered free or reduced rentals. It was the first time I experienced a perk. Blockbuster changed the perk to five free rentals a week because Blockbuster encouraged employees to watch videos to recommend movies to customers.

7. Earn Money And Pay Taxes. Earning a paycheck every two weeks was a first for me. Seeing some of my money paying taxes was another first for me.

6. Earn Money And Pay For Goods And Services. Earning a paycheck to pay for my own goods and services felt good. I purchased anime; for example, Ranma 1/2 season 1 on VHS tapes. I purchased food between college classes.

5. The Winning Store. Management and employees were happy my store was the top producing store in the district. Winning brought out the joy. Winning hid the conflicts. There were conflicts among all workers.

4. Strengthen My Resume. I added Blockbuster Video to my resume after graduating college. I could see high school students adding retail to their college applications. High school students must work in retail. Why? I answer in number 2.

3. Disrespect Minimum Wage Workers. I learned many people don't respect minimum wage workers. Sad. I rarely ask for help in retail stores. Retail workers don't care about their customers. I leave them alone. I leave them at peace. They worry about more important problems.

2. Lessons Learned Outside The Classrooms. It doesn't matter college or high school. If you don't want to work in customer service, then get an education. You think your friends, classmates, and teachers are stupid. Work in retail. You experience slow thinking co-workers, dumb customers, and jerks worse than your friends, classmates, and teachers. Another lesson learned is the management and employee relationship.

Honorable Mentions: I brought balloons from my house on my Fri night shifts for the children. I used my dad's air compressor to blow up balloons. Also, I went to a Hollywood Video store to spy under a request from the district manager.

1. The Lowest Of The Low. Retail is the lowest of the low in the career totem pole. Janitor is higher than retail. If you don't want to work at the lowest of the low, then get an education. The customers make retail the lowest of the low.

No comments: