Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Throwback Blog: Records, Streaks, Counts, Combinations Matter Briefly

Blogger’s Note: Throwback blogs are blogs from my past. I start posting past blogs reflecting what I wrote. It's like my "A Second Look" blogs for which I give myself feedback.

Today's throwback blog is titled Records, Streaks, Counts, Combinations Matter Briefly written on Sep 21, 2016. Today's throwback blog is also an Update On A Past Blog. I combine the Throwback Blog and Update On A Past Blog.

Update On A Past Blog

The Records, Streaks, Counts, Combinations Matter Briefly blog is forget about the bad luck, bad timing, counting failures, and remembering those moments. Stop the snowballing of adding the little bad moments and negative outcomes. We forget the positive streaks and negative streaks count in time. Remembering the positive streaks in the future is okay. Remembering the negative streaks in the future is a waste of time and is depressing. There is always a reset. There is always a new start. Zero is the beginning.

It took me three years to permanently adapt my wisdom acquired on Sep 2019 in Who Cares About The High Number Of Bad Luck? blog on Jan 1, 2020. I could have used the wisdom in 2018 when I experienced the worse and most bad lucks, bad timing, and unfortunate moments in a calendar year. I remembered them. I snowballed them. I should have forgotten them. I follow the two blogs' wisdom today. Nobody cares about my bad days. Stop counting the bad days. Never remember negative streaks.

We hear about the streaks, counting successes, counting failures, and keeping records daily. Some common examples are winning streaks and losing streaks in sports, number of days something happened or something didn't happen, and number of profitable quarters. The time spent counting must be short. It's okay to celebrate a victory. It's okay to express frustration. Thereafter, forget about the count.

For instance, I count the number of days I'm job searching. I feel sad when I reach a milestone number. I forget the number seconds later. Today is a new day. I continue job searching. I continue learning new job skills. Another instance is playing Mahjong (Riichi). I declared I'm ready to win waiting for my winning tile 11 times during an informal tournament. I won one time. I forgot about the 1 for 11 the next day and the next tournament. And I stopped counting the number of job phone interviews after 11. There have been too many.

Put the count to the back of the mind. It's a waste of time contemplating the positive streak or the negative streak. The next time it happens is new. It's a reset. Perform your way. Play your game. I believe baseball players take each at bat and take each defensive play separately. Don't worry about last place. Forget the negatives. Move forward. Take everything one at a time. Improve the successes. Correct the failures. Something different can happen. The score takes care of itself. The result takes care of itself. Good moments follow.

No comments: