Sunday, October 04, 2020

Shelter In-Place COVID-19 Blog September 2020

California issued shelter in-place orders on Tue Mar 17, 2020. I have been logging the highlights and lowlights. The Sep month started fast slowing down towards the end. Wildfires and unhealthy air were on my mind for many days. The pandemic daily life is unprecedented, uncharted, new, unknown, and untested.

Wed Sep 2. Daytime temperatures upper 70s.

Thur Sep 3. I experienced trouble sleeping for the past three nights. I turned on the desk fan for 30 minutes.

Fri Sep 4. Fast week. A blink of an eye. I blamed poor meals for trouble sleeping.

Sat Sep 5. Record breaking Spare The Air alerts for three consecutive weeks. Spare The Air alerts continued through Labor Day. Repaired clogged sink in stairway bathroom.

Sun Sep 6. The State of California Independent System Operator announced Stage 2 for the state's power grid. Daytime high temperature 105 degrees. 190,000 COVID-19 deaths in the United States.

Mon Sep 7. Daytime high temperature 102 degrees. I took a day off from job training because today was Labor Day. I watched documentaries J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter and Me, Nick Leeson and the Fall of the Barings Bank, and a Navy SEALs four-part documentary.

California wildfires burned two million acres which is a state record. The previous high was 1.96 million acres in 2018. 1987 was the first year wildfire acreage burned was tracked.

Tue Sep 8. 172,000 PG&E customers power shut off due to the Public Safety Power Shutoff preventing wildfires from Mon at 9pm to Wed at 7pm. The reasons were gusty winds and dry conditions. Spare The Air alerts continued through Wed. Weather was hazy smoke. Daytime high temperature 84 degrees. Outside was a yellow brown color. It was the third day I went with the flow.

Wed Sep 9. I woke up in the middle of the night for no reason. Outside was a reddish color like planet Mars when I woke up. Another outside color was grey whitish and grey yellowish. Daytime high temperature 66 degrees. There was ash all over the family cars. Lights were turned on in the daytime like a rainy winter day.

Thur Sep 10. I woke up in the middle of the night. My stomach growled. I ate cashews and Belvita. Weather was hazy, smoky, and cloudy. Daytime high temperature 68 degrees.

Fri Sep 11. Daytime high temperature 75 degrees. 470,000 acres burned in the August Complex wildfire. 3,100,000 acres burned in California for 2020. The week slightly slowed down.

Sat Sep 12. Spot cleaned vacuum the house. Daytime high temperature 82 degrees. Junk phone calls at 9:05pm and 9:45pm.

Sun Sep 13. Day 180 shelter in-place orders. I got a haircut. 2020 NFL Season first Sunday games.

Tue Sep 15. Car washed. Tires shined. The chicken bake is back at Costco's food court. Crystal Geyser bottle water is back at Costco. Costco has new shopping carts. I helped a customer sneak in because he forgot his membership card. How was the customer going to pay his goods? The customer asked another paying customer for which the another paying customer might ask for a favor in return. I wore clear goggles to protect my eyes.

The small business Suit Boutique which sold high-end business suits and tailor services went out of business.

Wed Sep 16. Air quality was good. I opened the windows. Today was the last day of Spare The Air alerts.

Fri Sep 18. There was still ash in the air. A little ash on my car. The week slowed down.

Sat Sep 19. Spare The Air alert for today.

Mon Sep 21. I shopped at a local tech store Central Computer to exchange a defective USB-C hub. The minimum wait time for computer repair service is seven days. Store is temporarily closed on weekends. The Nvidia RTX 30 series not in stock.

I updated my laptop's BIOS and drivers. I jogged outdoors for the first time since the lightning caused wildfires began.

Tue Sep 22. 200,000 deaths in the United States due to COVID-19.

Wed Sep 23. Day 200 shelter in-place orders. Ordered take out at Hash House restaurant for the first time.

Sat Sep 26. Watched parts of the NHL Stanley Cup Game 5 including the two overtimes.

Sun Sep 27. The weather became hot during the late afternoon. The evening was warm.

Mon Sep 28. Another weather became hot during the late afternoon which was hotter than yesterday. The evening was warm; however, the temperatures cooled down faster compared to yesterday. I watched the NHL Stanley Cup Game 6 third period.

One million people died due to COVID-19 globally.

Tue Sep 29. I worked out using dumbbells for the first time. The adjustable dumbbells arrived yesterday. Spare The Air alerts continued through Friday.

Wed Sep 30. Shopped at Costco. Good moments and bad moments:


*I exited the freeway. If I arrived at the intersection two seconds ahead to turn right, then I was hit from a car making an illegal U-turn. Fortunately, no accident.
*Face masks and hand sanitizers fully stocked available at the front entrance.
*I saw families with their children. No school today? The children better not be sick.
*The second time in a row I saw a Costco worker brought new boxes of bananas.
*I walked around another aisle after I purchased one bunch of bananas because the other side of the aisle was blocked with customers. I saw boxer underwear on sale unadvertised. I purchased one package.
*I purchased another box of Cheerios at an endcap. The Sep sale was extended ending on Oct 4, 2020.
*The checkout cashier was being relieved. I waited two minutes for a new cashier. The new cashier accidentally charged me twice on a package of sugar.
*The was a line at the food court when I exited.

The air was unhealthy. Smoky smell in the afternoon. The smoke could be seen outside the windows. I turned on the desk fan because I had trouble falling asleep. Windows were closed for safety.

No comments: