Monday, January 10, 2022

Can I Be Overqualified?

Today's blog is counterintuitive. I'm long-term unemployed. I job search six days a week. I job train five days a week. My job training includes learning new skills in Python, Linux, and Power BI. My job training includes reviewing existing skills in Excel, SQL, and data analysis. I also know dashboards, reports, sales support, and ETL. I have a B.S. in Economics, A.A in Accounting, and a variety of job skills for analysis and programming. I know some web development. I worked in commercial real estate, a retail start-up, and telecommunications. Can I be overqualified?

Hiring managers and recruiters ignore me almost all the time because I'm long-term unemployed. Job candidates are given precedence with relevant job experience, currently employed, and/or short-term unemployed. Most job descriptions are inaccurate. Most job positions filled the job candidate hired is rarely a perfect match. What if a hiring manager or a recruiter wants someone fresh? What if a hiring manager or a recruiter wants someone with little experience to train the job candidate hired his or her way? Can I be a catch-22 overqualified either way? I have seen analyst positions requiring programming skills. I'm not paying $5,000 for a course on Salesforce. There's no guarantee I'm hired with a beginning Salesforce course completion.

All of my past jobs I never did all the work in the job description. I matched half of the job description at the highest. I apply to jobs I qualify as low as a 50% match. I speak from experience. I speak from my friends sharing their experiences with me. Recruiters and job counselors are correct giving advice to job candidates apply to job openings matching 50% of the job description.

No comments: