Sunday, January 26, 2014

Work Jan 26, 2014

The two month's date passed on Mon Jan 20, 2014. I'm getting better and understanding the procedures. There is still more to learn. I need to start reading books on wine to supplement what I'm learning on the job. I hope to start reading this week. The following summarizes recent shifts:

Fri Jan 3 was the last day of an easy commute. Everyone goes back to work from the Christmas holiday on Mon Jan 6. Everyone in the company had been getting sick. I jump started a customer's car dead battery using my jumper cables.

I worked a Sat shift on Jan 4. The entire shift was auditing our second store's inventory for the second time.

The sickness affected me on Mon Jan 6. I went home early and took Tue Jan 7 off. I went back to work on Wed Jan 8. The second store opened. My manager started the day training the staff at the second store. I opened the store. I received two shipments. Two boxes fell down resulting in two broken bottles from one shipment. It was my fault. There is some knowledge beyond common sense regarding receiving shipments and stacking boxes. If the boxes are too heavy or packaged poorly, then stack them lower. Don't trust the delivery person stacking the shipment. Lesson learned.

Thur Jan 9 was the latest I arrived at work. I had trouble getting out of bed from being sick. There was an accident on the freeway. There was one green light at all signaled intersections. I apologized to my manager. I made up the 30 minutes arriving late during my lunch hour eating my Subway sandwich while working. The Coke soft drink helped because, in my family, drinking Coke helps us feel better when anyone is sick.

My first foggy commute took place on Fri Jan 10. I arrived to work on time. I went out to lunch getting Broccoli Beef Chinese take-out at an expensive Americanized Chinese full service restaurant located within walking distance. The food is decent and much better than Panda Express. It's worth the extra few bucks compared to a Subway sandwich. The Broccoli Beef was my first warm lunch since I started working.

My manager told me the second store complained about inaccurate inventory counts because of my auditing. I went defensive and justified my auditing. My manager wanted to communicate the second store's thoughts and feelings. There was no judgment. There was no need to take it seriously. I shouldn't take it seriously. I had past experience going defense immediately. I needed to relax.

I had a dermatologist appointment before work on Mon Jan 13. There was a backup near my freeway exit. It must be the first day of school at a nearby junior college. One of the managers was on a business trip. We were shorthanded. It was the first day I was given a walkie-talkie to communicate with the front end.

The shorthanded staff was worse on Tue Jan 14. One of the workers called in sick. The owner purchased Round Table Pizza. I took a very late and shorten lunch.

Luck was on my side for my morning commute on Wed Jan 15. The signaled intersections were all green after I exited the freeway. I arrived early.

There was a minor accident on Thur Jan 16. A UPS representative visited my manager regarding missing and damaged UPS packages during the holidays. He filed a claim to seek compensation over $1,000. The representative even became a salesman selling UPS services and assuring UPS has high customer satisfaction, excellent reliability, and cheaper prices.

Fri Jan 17 was my first shift ever at the second store. The second store uses Macs. I spent an hour driving back to the first store getting my laptop. I didn't learn the Mac fast enough and I needed my files that took too long to download from the network. The store was busy with many customers during the afternoon. The commute to the second store is 50% quicker than commuting to the first store.

The entire shift on Mon Jan 20 and half my shift on Tue Jan 21 was preparing for the events at the first and second stores later in the week. The owner closed the store early on Wed Jan 22 because she treated the workers to watch Cirque Du Soleil Amaluna.

The first store continued to receive inventory for the second store even though the store opened on Wed Jan 8. My manager told me the reason is the second store's credit application has not been approved on Thur Jan 23. As a result, those vendors continued to bill the first store. The vendors eventually deliver inventory to the second store when the credit application is approved.

I worked at the second store on Fri Jan 24. The owner told me I work at the second store on Fridays indefinitely. The staff was informed of a consignment wine from the second store co-owner's acquaintance. The consignor is divorcing his wife and needs money. He comes to the store shopping such that he's really spying on his consigned wines. The second store's co-owner ran the afternoon's event because the rep experienced food poisoning. The entire day was quiet with few customers shopping.

Moreover, Fri Jan 24 is a model when I run errands. I got breakfast at McDonalds which was the second time I ate breakfast out of the house. I went to the auto shop to get my tires rotated and balanced. I purchased gas next. Then I went grocery shopping before my shift started at 10:30am. I drove around the nearby retail shops memorizing the stores if I need to run errands after work during my lunch hour. I saw a Chipotle and ate a burrito. I also saw a Nob Hill grocery store for which I shopped after my shift to buy milk. Finally, I went to the post office. The nearby retail stores reminded me of visiting a friend in Ukiah, CA. There was a small city feel.

1 comment:

Kent Gregory said...

It seems that auditing has been quite a task for you, especially when you heard a negative complain from a customer, although you know there was nothing wrong with the services you provide. There's really so much to learn about your experience, not just in handling such situation, but also to be reminded of the safe and proper way of packing and delivering products. Anyway, regardless of that situation, I'm glad that everything worked out well in the end. Thanks for sharing that, Raymond! More power to you!

Kent Gregory @ Armature