Sunday, June 22, 2014

The New Job Interview

I experienced my share of good interviews and bad interviews. There were some interviews I did a good job being the interviewee and the interviewers did a good job conducting the interview; unfortunately, I was never hired. There were some interviews I did a good job being the interviewee and the interviewers did a bad job conducting the interview; fortunately, I was never hired.

I wonder how some bad workers are hired. The bad workers can have problems such as difficulty getting along with other workers, unqualified, or bad personalities such as short temper or too much criticism. Do some of the bad hires lie? Do some of these bad hires sell themselves well the interviewers fail to notice the warning signs? I hear stories from my friends some of their co-workers are terrible at their jobs. These bad co-workers include negative personalities, lack of qualifications, too many mistakes, and making poor choices.

The classic question and answer interview is outdated. The questions are clique. The answers are clique. Tell me about yourself? How do you handle conflicts? What are your job goals? What do you look forward to working here? Anyone can memorize good answers from an interview book. Anyone can memorize good story lies; on the other hand, who doesn't lie in interviews.

Today's new interview is the conversation interview. Have a conversation with the candidate. It's similar to two people meeting for the first time. It's similar to two people on a date for the first time. The two people shouldn't talk like a job interview. They have conversations. They learn about each other. The conversation interview is good for multiple people interviewing a candidate, too. Furthermore, interviewee and interviewers must position themselves in an open and friendly environment to project good body flow.

Interviews are subjective. For instance, a good candidate can be qualified with years of experience and a good education; however, if the chemistry is no match, then the good candidate is skipped. Another instance is a candidate with a down-to-earth and funny personality is passed because the company dislikes loud people. These instances can happen.

What's my advice regarding interviews? Be professional. Be discrete. Think before you speak. How do I know a job candidate is worth hiring when I'm interviewing a job candidate? I feel comfortable having a beer with him or her.

Email: feedbackininblog@innovateinfinitely.com

No comments: