Friday, May 19, 2006

Either Someone Is A Mentor Or You Yourself Is A Mentor

Most famous successful people have a mentor, a role model, or a teacher. Warren Buffett’s mentor was Benjamin Graham. Donald Trump’s mentor was his father. Robert Kiyosaki’s mentor was his best friend’s father.

For me, I never had a mentor. My first job my boss was not role model material. I still respect him because he hired me and gave me the opportunity to work after I graduated college. Even my second and present job, there is neither a mentor nor a go to person to move the company forward. (Heck, my company doesn’t have a CEO and a CFO. Both resigned.) The managing partner, office manager, and my co-worker who has seniority are full of crap :-P

I didn’t have a mentor when I was a kid. And I don’t have a mentor today. What do I do? I train myself to be a mentor. Who knows what happens in the future? Today, I still work at my company. Tomorrow, I’m a speaker teaching people how to innovate themselves XD

How do I train myself? First, think of a life philosophy or belief. My philosophy or belief is Never Stop Innovating Life. Second, read books; for example, Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki and How To Win Friends And Influence Them by Dale Carnegie. Third, live life . . . live the present and make everyday count . . . no regrets. Cherish life to the fullest because a great life is a collection of present moments. Fourth, always find ways to meet new people. And fifth, use all your senses because you want to learn from your failures and other people who fail; for example, everyone knows how to greet people saying “Hi”, but if the person lacks sincerity, the greeting is meaningless. Bonus sixth, always be sincere!

If you have a mentor, then make sure you show sincere appreciation. From my experience, mentors are hard to find. If you don’t have a mentor, then train yourself to be a mentor. If you’re alone, then you must take action for yourself because waiting for a mentor is not going to make you a better person. You are wasting time . . . precious time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resume? I don't need a resume. Here is my resume: Innovator. I'm available to innovate for hire.

No comments: