Friday, July 14, 2006

2006 Anime Expo Day Three

AX'06 Day Three: Full of Full Metal Alchemist (FMA)

I woke up at 7:30 A.M. Monday, took a shower, and ate breakfast. Today's planned events are the FMA movie and taking more cosplay pics. I walked to the convention center cosplaying as Edward Elric at 9:00 A.M. I brought my laptop for FMA movie line. After taking cosplay pics between the hotel and Hall D, the location of the FMA line, I lined up around 9:20 A.M.

While in line, I met a couple, a family of three, and a veteran anime fan named Mike who lived in SoCal. During the wait, an AX staff was giving away free NewType Magazines and DVDs. I convinced the staffer to give me a DVD since I cosplayed as Edward. My convincing worked. I got X-Men 1.5 DVD for which I already have X-Men 1. I gave the DVD to the boyfriend and he gave me his Newtype magazine. Another AX staff gave away prizes for a trivia game. The staff walked along the line asking questions and gave prizes for correct answers. The staff used a megaphone and from time to time I turned off my laptop because the megaphone was too loud to hear the music from the AMVs on my laptop.

The FMA seating started a few minutes late. As the line moved away from Hall D to the main events on the third floor, I saw a cosplayer who played a harmonica like instrument and held a sign asking for money. There were too many cosplayers with signs. I’m not a sign fan. I rarely recognize and respond to a sign because I must behave my age. She looked at me twice. I walked towards her. I gave her $1.00 and she smiled. She said thank you twice.

Getting back to the FMA line, movement was slow. After Mike and I seated, we waited at least 45 minutes. During the wait, we talked a lot about dubbed anime and voice actors. And we watched each other's stuff while each of us went to the bathroom. I went to the bathroom and purchased a turkey sandwich, chips, and bottle water all for $9.25 $-P After I ate, I completed minor repairs on my boots. Somebody had duct tape and I asked for a piece. I thank the fan. The movie started which was dubbed great. After the movie, there was a brief panel afterwards where the audience asked a few questions on the movie to the guest of honor who worked with the movie original and dubbed.

FMA Fangirls

After the brief panel was over, I lined up for the Vic Mignogna Panel. Mignogna is the voice actor for Edward Elric dubbed. Keeping the FMA theme and no plans for the rest of the day, I choose to attend the panel. I waited in linen for approximately 45 minutes. During the wait, I played AMVs on my laptop and took cosplay pics. I met three girls, and one of them rarely watched AMVs because their father installed parental safeguards on their home PC. I gave them a copy of the best AMVs on my laptop. I also met a Dante cosplayer. *Does the My Eyes Are Watching You: two fingers pointing at my eyes and then I point at you* towards Dante. There was a Kimberely FMA cosplayer who passed out a Vic Mignogna fansite business card and she informed me after the panel there was a mini FMA gathering by the AX banner. I informed her I attend. And someone took a group shot of all Edwards. BTW, I forgot to mention I'm one of the few tall and male Edward cosplayers during the con. Most of the Edward cosplays were female and short; likewise for AX'05.

The panel started on time around 4:15 P.M. Mignogna was very popular to the audience given the screaming fangirls. I didn't mind the screaming and shouting and loudness. Its all part of the con experience. During the panel, I found a plug and charged my laptop. Mignogna told the audience that voice actors and voice actresses has lots of theater experience and voice acting anime is more difficult than American animation. For American animation, the voices are recorded first and the drawings are done afterwards. For Japanese Anime to be dubbed, the animation is already completed. The voice actors and actresses have to act to match the mouth movements.

FMA Mini Gathering

After the Mignogna panel, I went to the Hilton gift shop and purchased peanuts, Milky Way candy bar, and water around 5:15 P.M. Then I went to the FMA mini gathering. One word: redemption. The mini gathering was awesome. The girl’s friends who organized the mini gathering drew transmutation circles with caulk on the ground. Genius. Then the FMA cosplayers did their action shots. Bart Boy arrived and he contacted Eurobeat King, cosplay.com photographer, to come over. Ryu and Karisma also arrived. Two cosplay webmasters taking FMA cosplay group shots and action shots. Super awesome. They were happy to take the FMA gathering pics since the official FMA gathering was crazy. I did a few FMA action shots. One shot was a few Sloth, Wrath, and Lust cosplayers stole my watch and I was being held by two Gluttonies. Another shot was one Gulttony ate my watch and I tried to pull the watch away from him. When all FMA cosplayers gathered for the group shot, we sang 99 Bottles of Beer on the wall to time how long we stayed for the group pose. We counted from 99 to 91 which was a long time. Even I took a few mini FMA gathering pics group shots and action shots. Then, one word: Yaoi. The Kimberely FMA cosplayer kissed me for a Yaoi shot. OMG! Wow. !#%+^&+@*^!~*^%

The Kimberely FMA cosplayer invited me to join her group of friends for dinner. I agreed. Her group of friends also cosplayed from FMA. We stopped by my hotel room to drop off my laptop. One of Kimberely FMA cosplayer friends dropped off her bag. We walked to Coco's on Katella Avenue for dinner at 6:45 P.M. After we got seated I introduced myself to the Kimberely FMA cosplayer and her friends. The Kimberely FMA cosplayer's name is Priscilla and her friend who cosplayed as Envy her name is Erin. Her other friends are Amanda who cosplayed as Edward, another Amanda who also cosplayed as Edward, and a third person I forgot her name who cosplayed as Riza. There was a sixth person in Priscilla’s group who also cosplayed as Edward who unfortunately could not join us. We talked about anime, poker, relationships, favorite Studio Ghibi movie, guessing each other's ages, and lots of random stuff. There was a mother and son who attended AX'06 for one day and asked lots of questions about anime. We suggested to them that next year they attend all four days to experience in full what AX is all about. And before we ordered our food, I took a random picture of congers holding signs.

All seven of us left Coco's at 9:00 P.M. We headed to the AX rave dance which started at 9:30 P.M. For all of us, it's our first rave dance. During the walk, we got separated. The other group thought the dance was at the Hilton. They had to walk from the Hilton to the Sheraton Park Hotel where the dance was located. In the meantime, Priscilla, Erin, and I went inside the rave. We walked to the back because we didn't plan to dance. Erin left the dance floor either because she had to go to the bathroom or she went to find glowsticks. I forgot which. After 10 minutes, Priscilla and I walked outside and saw Erin outside the entrance because AX staff refused to let her in because her Envy cosplay wears no shoes.

We received information someone in the convention center was selling glowsticks. Erin and Priscilla choose to walk to the convention center and I went with them. Priscilla’s other friends hanged out in the rave dance area. We arrived at the convention center around 10:00 P.M. and we hanged around for two hours. Erin and Priscilla did lots of glomps and Priscilla was talking to a Greed and Lust cosplayers cussing each other for fun. When the Lust cosplayer said to everyone I'm staying out, I said I'm staying out also. While Priscilla and Greed were talking, Erin was getting glomps, and I found an AX staff selling glowsticks. I purchased three glowsticks for $5.00 and gave one to Priscilla and one to Erin as a souvenir they attended a rave. We then went inside the con and hang out with more glomps and the usual anime fans having fun and meeting people. Erin was asked to conduct interviews for a website. She had a blast interview anime fans. During the interview, Priscilla and I were hanging out by the info desk. We left the convention center around 11:45 P.M.

Midnight approached. We walked back to my hotel room. Erin was big time tired. She went to sleep inside the room. Priscilla and I went outside the room and we hung out together. One of the FMA cosplayers also stayed at my hotel. He was the Gluttony who ate my watch ^_^ We saw him walking outside. He and his friend wanted to go for a swim. The swimming pool closed and they tried to go to one of the big hotel’s swimming pool. We talked for a bit about the gathering and little stuff for about five minutes. Then they walked towards the bigger hotels with their swim trunks, T-shirts, and towels. At 4:00 A.M. Tuesday, we went back inside and went to sleep ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resume? I don't need a resume. Here is my resume: Innovator. I'm available to innovate for hire.

No comments: