Friday, April 09, 2010

De Anza Week Apr 5, 2010

Tue Apr 6, 2010

Today is Tuesday, not Monday, lol. Throughout the day, I thought today was Monday. It was Tuesday. Today reminded me of Fall Semester 1996 at San Jose State. I attended classes from 9:00am-3:15pm Tuesdays and Thursdays without breaks. My Spring '10 quarter I have classes from 12:30pm to 8:15pm with a 45 minute break. My dance class is Wednesdays.

First question is, "What's the life lesson I learn?" In Fall '09, I learned we're all humans. In Winter'10, I learned to go with the flow. What is the Spring '10 lesson?

I parked at Flint Parking Garage because I arrived at 11:45am. I guessed the smaller Stelling parking garage is full because it's the first week of classes. The third week of classes I park at Stelling.

I waited in front of the classroom for Accounting 1C which is Managerial Accounting. The same instructor for 1B is teaching 1C. There is no other Accounting 1C for my schedule. I didn't like my 1B instructor because she taught straight from the book. She made two changes in the green sheet. The first change is the extra credit. We get two points extra credit instead of one; however, we must complete both the summary objectives and the vocabulary instead of vocabulary only. The second change is the project. In 1B, it was a group project. In 1C, it is an Excel project done individually.

I got my same seat from 1B. There were four students I recognized from my 1B class including the students who sat next to me on my left and right. I chatted with each of them for a bit.

The next class is Business 18 which is Business Law. The instructor started working in the banking industry. She quit banking, went to law school at Santa Clara University, and became a lawyer. She practiced law for 20+ years and retired. Today, she wants to teach full time and has taught for two years. My feeling is she's going to tell stories and share experiences in contrast to my 1C who teaches straight from the book. Her jokes were cheesy and tolerable. The first part of the quarter we learn the government and how laws are passed. The second part we apply what we learn in the first part to business.

I have a 45 minute break. I used the break to eat dinner in the campus center. I don't bring my laptop. What a relief. My laptop bag is much lighter. I don't bring a backpack.

The night class is Accounting 66 which is Cost Accounting. Some students from my past Acct classes were in this class. The instructor tells jokes, a loose guy, and a sports fan, and was laid off seven times. (Was it bad luck or poor performance in his jobs?) No offense to women, for me, it's nice to have a male teacher. He talked about an error in the course description while discussing the green sheet. The error is the prerequisites are Acct 1A and 1B. He said the prerequisites are Acct 1A-1C.

Throughout the lecture he told current events and shares stories. He engaged the students. He told us stories how Nordstroms is successful despite selling expensive clothing. One reason is Nordstroms accepts anything for returns even a tire someone returned and he got $.05 and someone returned old nylons and she got $.01 for each nylon. He joked about diamonds being hella expensive. He said diamonds are hella expensive multiplied by three: "hella, hella, hella expensive." We talked about Target, Wal-Mart, and McDonalds. It's cheaper to eat fast food than to cook at home. I said to myself, "So true. It's a conspiracy to make people unhealthy by eating McDonalds. IQs decrease and health insurance increases."

He called Assets = Liabilities + Owner's Equity ALOE.

After Acct 66, I went to the bookstore to purchase my Acct 1C and Bus 18 books. The Bus 18 book is a De Anza edition that is a concise edition at a cheaper price. I check amazon.com for the Acct 66 class. The bookstore was out of stock.

All of my classes were full. No surprise because of budget cuts. Take nothing for granted.

Wed Apr 7, 2010

Wed's night was dance class. There were a few familiar faces especially the people I'm close with such that we dance on Fri's night on occasion. My class is learning the cha cha cha for the feature dance and for the Dance Demonstration. The instructor's Tue night intermediate class was cancelled. She was unhappy. Some of the intermediate students enrolled in Wed's class. I expect the class to be much better than Winter '10.

Thur Apr 8, 2010

We finished Chap 19 in Acct 1C. Quiz is on Tue. I completed the practice problems last night and I thought my quiz is Mon. I repeatedly corrected myself the quiz is Tue. The instructor wanted all the students to read the chapter before the lecture. For me, I understand the reading material after her lectures. Chap 19 is straight-forward.

We finished Chap 1 in Business 18. Chap 1 is high school government. We reviewed the three branches of the Federal Government, state government, and the court system from state to federal. The first homework assignment is due next Thur. I haven't read Chap 1 yet.

The entire day was the usual. Go to class, learn something, and take notes. In the cafeteria, I ate a light dinner I purchased at a Japanese store. One of my classmates who went to some of my study group in Payroll Accounting was in the cafeteria. She just purchased her parking permit. We chatted while we watched Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth documentary on global warming.

The usual day became unusual. My Cost Accounting instructor was sick. He thought he got food poisoning. He ate a salad at Whole Foods at 9:45pm last night. He stayed for ten minutes informing the students what happened, what to expect for Tues' class, and corrected the students who wanted to add. It turned out he gave the students who wanted to add the wrong codes. I got the correct code to enroll officially. And I purchased the textbook at half.com for a great price.

I stayed afterwards with some students and we talked about accounting, De Anza classes, instructors, and Chap 1 homework.

I'm A Good Guy Growing Up Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: