Wednesday, April 07, 2010

SOMT: Working And Going To School

SOMT stands for "Sign Of My Times," an occasional blog on how life has changed from my point of view, even personally. Today's SOMT is college students working part or full time.

My first semester at San Jose State I paid $975 a semester. Today's students pay over $2,500 a semester. Those amounts are tuition only. Books are excluded.

My first semester at San Jose State students who worked part-time either worked to pay to live at a dorm or apartment, college expenses, or to pay for luxuries. Today's students almost everyone works to pay for everything. Financial aid doesn't help much.

I respect students who must work just to stay in school. If students work just to pay for luxuries, that's another topic. If I see students score bad on their homework, quizzes, and exams, I'm not going to say they're dumb. It's likely these students didn't have time to complete the homework and study enough to prepare for the tests. These students should then take fewer classes if they can't handle the load. That's another topic. And how about finding time with friends or significant other?

I'm going back to college. College is different for me compared to when I was at San Jose State. It's a second chance for me to correct my mistakes the first time I attended college.

I'm A Good Guy Growing Up Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: