Sunday, October 17, 2010

De Anza Week Oct 11, 2010

Mon Oct 11

Today’s Intermediate Acct lecture was the best lecture. I planned to read Chap 4 while the professor lectured. He said many good concepts and a few stories I had to listen. I read ten pages. I looked ahead at Chap 4. It’s very long.

The professor passed back Chap 1 and Chap 2 quizzes. He checked off everyone’s work. Everyone got credit. I set myself where I have ten pages remaining in Chap 4 to finish reading on Wed’s class meeting.

We learned the East Coast Swing in dance class. There was no Rumba lesson. I was surprised. We learned the basic with double hand hold instead of the traditional basic frame and the cuddle. I chatted with a few students after class.

Tue Oct 12

I slept for five hours last night continuing the Hilton project in Integrated Acct. I got a matching trial balance. That’s good news. I ate a bowl of cereal only and rush out of the house.

I arrived late in Excel class. I missed nothing. I already completed the homework due Thur. I went to the computer lab after Excel to continue working on the Hilton project. I started adding the adjusting entries.

Most of the time in Integrated Acct. was spent asking questions on the Hilton project. There were lots of good questions I realized I made errors. I compared my trial balance with another student. I noted the student’s trial balance number. I attempted to match the number when I continued working at home.

I remembered that we’re all human minutes before class ended. Almost everyone in the class struggled with the Hilton project. Nobody’s perfect. Nobody’s has God like intelligence. Everyone has priorities outside college. Many of us truly do the best we can. We don’t want to fail. There were students who didn’t start on the project yet. The reasons are legitimate: work, other classes, family to take care of, etc. We do our best in what we do. Missing a homework assignment or getting a B on a mid-term is not the end of the world. This was a lesson I failed to learn at San Jose State.

I re-journalized my mistakes in the Hilton project at home. My trial balance was $1,500 below the other student’s trial balance. I stopped there because I have my Intermediate Acct class and I needed to cook dinner. A few students and I meet Thur after class to compare our Hilton project numbers.

Wed Oct 13

The Flint Center parking garage has been beneficial for me. There is more parking spaces, easier to exit the campus, and closer to the computer lab. I parked at Flint because I needed to print my Integrated Acct. homework after Intermediate Acct.

Today was another good day in Intermediate such that I didn’t finish reading Chap 4. We had a short quiz that was actually like a mid-term. The questions were long. A student and I talked about the quiz saying the quiz gave us an idea what the first mid-term is going to be. All of the students who didn’t finish Chapter 3 and 4 couldn’t finish the quiz which was almost all the students. The professor reviewed the entire quiz. He said the quiz was a “wake up call.” It was a wake up call. I’m behind in the reading and the homework. There is lots of material.

I printed my Integrated Acct. homework after Intermediate Acct. I also emailed my Excel homework and downloaded the latest PowerPoint files from Intermediate Acct. The PowerPoint slides have been useless for me.

Dance class was another surprise. We reviewed the Cha Cha Cha. I corrected a technique mistake. I improved my leading techniques using my right hand on the follower’s shoulder blade and my left hand to push forward to signal my partner to move. After Cha Cha Cha, we learned Salsa. Salsa?!? Salsa is my worse dance. The reason we learned Salsa is Mikey the Salsa instructor is guest teaching next week. I have no concern because today was the last Wed I attend. I may attend a future Wed if I have time.

Thur Oct 14

There was a smaller turnout in Excel class. That was a mistake for those who missed. The instructor discussed the first project and the mid-term. We reviewed the homework from last week and previewed next week’s homework.

The instructor lectured in periodic inventory system in Integrated Computer Acct. I believed the lecture helped most of the students. It helped me big time for the Hilton project.

I worked with three classmates on the Hilton project after class. We checked the journal entries and adjusting entries. The key was 100% accuracy on the journal entries and adjusting entries. The rest is arithmetic and writing financial statements. We worked in the library; unfortunately, we got kicked out because we were talking softly. Talking softly was okay. The library didn’t want continuous talking softly. We walked out and choose to work in the Campus Center.

It took us one hour to check our journal entries. One of us had to leave to work. The three of us stayed for another hour. I needed to eat lunch. I wanted to eat Chinese because I hated the cafeteria. The Chinese stand was closed. I had no choice. I walked to the grill to order burger and fries. I was impressed. De Anza cafeteria improved their burgers. It was a big burger, not a slim patty. I got less fries and paid more compared to last quarter. That was okay. The burger tasted better and filled me up. My two classmates checked their adjusted entries while I ate.

We walked to the computer lab to check the unadjusted trial balance. I corrected my journal entries and recalculated the unadjusted trial balance and adjustments in Excel. We compared both numbers to another student. Our numbers matched. Excellent! Today was the first time I met that student. I never had an accounting class with her in the past. I was told she is a very smart person.

BTW, the Hilton project is all handwritten work. There is no Excel. I’m cheating. I calculate on Excel and write the journals, ledgers, trial balances, and financial statements in hand afterwards.

My weekend movie is One Few Over the Cuckkoo’s Nest starring Jack Nicholson.

The Personal Side Of Me Finding Raymond Mar

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.