Thursday, January 19, 2012

SOMT: Kodak Declares Bankruptcy

Blogger’s Note: SOMT stands for Sign Of My Times, an occasional blog sharing my thoughts how time changes life from when I was young to today.

CNBC reported the 131 year old company Eastman Kodak declared bankruptcy. The company has no cash to continue operations, and bankruptcy provides the company with protection to survive. Kodak is shifting their business plan to printers for home and commercial use.

My dad was a good amateur photographer. He took family pictures when my siblings and I were young. He developed and printed black & white pictures from college to his young parenting years. I remember shopping at LZ Premiums, a local ma & pa discount photo store that sells photography equipment, film, development services, and photo developing equipment. LZ Premiums expanded their store selling televisions and renting VHS movies in the mid 1980s. I’m guessing the store expanded because of competition from bigger stores selling photography equipment and services such as Circuit City and a small chain of camera and video stores known today as Wolf Camera. LZ Premiums went out of business.

I took black & white photography in 1991 while I in 11th grade. I used one of my dad’s Nikon cameras to take pictures for my assignments. I purchased my first film camera in Dec 2002. Digital cameras were too expensive for me. The first time I held a digital camera was on July 2000. A friend owned a Casio digital camera that used 3.5 inch floppy disks.

I purchased my first digital camera in July 2003. The first pics I took with my Olympus were our family vacation in Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and the Grand Canyon. I purchased my second digital camera in May 2004. It was the Canon Powershot A75. The A75 was a rock I dropped it so many times. I took many pictures at anime conventions and my vacations in 2004-2005.

Digital cameras and photography are everywhere. Cell phones can take pictures. People can take as many pictures as they want—even an ant on the sidewalk. There is no need to be picky taking pictures with film. I started my digital photography with point & shoot cameras. I use a SLR today. I consider myself an amateur below my dad’s skills. Regardless, anyone can take good pictures with today’s digital cameras.

Stubborn Is Another Bad S Word

Going back to Kodak, the company was stubborn to enter the digital market. It stayed in the film business years after digital photography started becoming mainstream. Kodak lost money staying in the film photography. They were too late entering the digital market.

George Eastman founded Kodak from his photography hobby. He found ways to make photography easy for common people including the photography paper and easily transporting camera film. Eastman debuted Kodachrome film in 1935.

The Personal Side Of Me Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: