Tuesday, December 13, 2016

My Dream Playing High School Basketball

I dreamed last night I played basketball in my high school basketball team. My PE teacher told me to join the team. I joined the team without tryouts. The coach said I'm in the team. The basketball team was co-ed.

The coach entered me in the game with five minutes remaining. The tallest player in the court was 5' 10". I was the tallest in my team on the court at 5' 8". The players for my team and the opposition team were short.

The score was close. Both teams struggled making baskets at the end. We scored the last basket down by two points. My long sleeve sweat jacket hindered my dribbling. I didn't know why I wore a sweat jacket over my jersey. I called timeout with 4.2 seconds. My team was in defense at the opposition side of the basket. Why did I call timeout? I didn't know. I called timeout. The coach drew up a play. The coach assigned me to stay at their basket for the opposition to inbound. Play resumed. The opposing player moved side-to-side keeping the ball without inbounding. I called timeout with 0.2 seconds remaining. The coach said I made a mistake. I said the opposition is holding the ball to run the clock out. The coach said each team has four seconds to inbound the ball. Really?!? I thought inbounding is five seconds, and 0.2 seconds is not enough time for a tap and shoot. My team lost the game.

I exited the gym. I saw the coach. I asked when's the next practice. He looked at me for three seconds. Then he walked away. I was puzzled. I asked a teammate the same question. She said we don't practice. We actually "hang out" somewhere. The somewhere was a comic book store and a pizza restaurant next to each other. The co-ed basketball team consisted of geeks, nerds, and sci-fi fans with average looks and weak bodies. We were not the typical high school cheerleader beauties and high school football players with big bodies. Then she taught me how to fill out the timecard for playing a high school sanctioned game. Four or five more teammates came to complete their timecards.

I was sad because the next basketball game was the final game of the season. I was a senior. I was the only senior in the team. I joked to the teammates I intentionally fail Physics to be a fifth year senior to play again. The teammates invited me to come to the next practice which was at the comic book store and pizza restaurant. A team chemistry was developed during my five minutes of playing time. Perhaps, a friendship chemistry, too. I make sure I get everyone's Facebook before I graduate.

What I got out of last night's dream for those who analyze dreams is we live only one life. I wished I played basketball with the co-ed team earlier. The best case scenario was at the beginning of my freshmen year. The minimum was at the beginning of the season as a senior. I make the best of the current situation which was make memories and make friendships for the game I played and the final game next week.

Email: feedbackininblog@innovateinfinitely.com

No comments: