Saturday, February 15, 2020

Top Ten Forgotten Moments

NFL.com and NFL Films released two videos about forgotten moments. The first video is the Top 10 "Forgotten" Moments in NFL History. The second video is the Top 10 Greatest Forgotten Plays in NFL History | NFL Films. These two videos inspired me to blog my top ten forgotten moments.

10. Jack In The Box (Early 1998). I was unemployed. I was depressed running errands. I ate lunch at the Jack In The Box in San Jose, CA. I ordered the number one Jumbo Jack upgrading to curly fries. It was the first time I ate their curly fries. I never ate at the same Jack In The Box as of the blog entry.

9. The Hunger Games (Apr-May 2012). I read the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins in ten days. They were the only books I read as if I binged watch a television series.

8. 1993 Bike Ride (Summer 1993). I rode my bike randomly around my neighborhood exploring parts of West San Jose and Campbell, CA. The places included Westmont High School, San Tomas Aquinas Creek, and John D. Morgan park.

7. Santa Barbara, CA Weekend Trip (Aug 1998). My mom and I picked up my grandfather in Santa Barbara, CA driving the Mercury Sable 1997 station wagon. We listened to music on my portable CD player connected to the radio's cassette deck for the first time. We delivered a cage of birds to one of my aunts. I saw a Ford Mustang driven by a woman in Soledad, CA driving home to San Jose. The Mustang and I drove next to each other from Soledad to San Jose. We separated at the Junction 85-17 freeway.

6. Mervyn's Department Store (various dates). My brother and I loved Mervyn's toy sales. In particular, 33% off GI JOE, Transformers, and MASK toys. The 33% off sales were cheaper than BEST store. Mervyn's declared bankruptcy during the Great Recession. My final purchase was a Levi's Dockers black jacket purchased on Oct or Nov 2008. The jacket still fits me today.

5. Fanime Con 2005 (May 27-30, 2005). Fanime Con 2005 was held at the San Jose Convention Center for the second time. The con was terrible. I was in the minority. I had a great time. I made new friends. I hosted my first panel. I attended my first cosplay gathering. I organized a poker tournament in tabletop gaming. The forgotten moment is an example what a person does at an event is more important than how an event is organized.

4. Slug-A-Thon (1996). I attended my first tabletop convention. The actual forgotten moment was searching for Japantown in San Jose during the convention. I found the store Nikkau Animart which sold anime goods. I called the discovery "Finding Sailor Moon in San Jose." The negative was I got sick afterwards because I didn't drink any fluids when I played Junta. Junta was the only board game I played.

3. Physics 60 Final (Fall Semester 1994). The Physics department eliminated the Physics 50 series because of a high failure rate. The department introduced the 60 series which included the class Physics 60 Introduction to Physics. Students who failed the Physics 60 series entrance exam must take Physics 60 first. I failed the entrance exam.

I enrolled in Physics 60. The class was hard. The class was taught at a slow pace. Most students struggled. We feared the final. The final was a multiple choice joke. The answers were obvious. 90% of the students completed the final in 30 minutes. Students complained they studied hours and hours.

Side note: The Physics 60 series is another example I experienced being the guinea pig. I have been the first or part of a group of firsts throughout my life too many times.

Side note two: The department eliminated the 60 series years later. The department reinstated the Physics 50 series.

2. Self-taught Excel, Access, PowerPoint, HTML (1998). I listened to Enya learning Excel. I watched videos learning Access. I read PowerPoint and HTML books. Knowing Access helped me get a job at a better commercial real estate company. I created my first webpage Tokyo Bay 9061 at geocities.com after learning HTML.

1. 1997 Outside Role Playing Games (1997). 1997 was the year of the role playing games. I lived a normal life. I continued working at Blockbuster Video when I started in Summer 1996. My family visited the Grand Canyon. My family had a weekend family gathering in Reno, NV. I listened to Shawn Colvin, Sarah McLachlan, LeAnn Rimes, Jewel, No Doubt, Celine Dion, and Spice Girls music. I watched Titanic twice. The San Francisco Giants made the playoffs.

Update On A Past Blog

Speaking of forgetting, there is one bullet point I forgot to mention at Instant Bullets Blog Jan 17, 2020 on Fri Jan 17, 2020. No time to wait. Bodybuilding.com published an article 4 Mind-Boggling Ways Fitness Whips Your Brain Into Shape. Physical fitness is more than physical health. Physical fitness is mental health, too.

No comments: