Monday, July 20, 2020

Ten Thoughts From The Last Dance Documentary

I finished watching The Last Dance yesterday from ESPN on my DVR. A camera crew was given unrestricted access to the Chicago Bulls 1997-1998 season. The ten-part documentary is Michael Jordan's NBA career and the Chicago Bulls' six NBA championships in the 1990s. Each thought is from each of the ten episodes in ascending order.

1. Jordan shared a story in his 1984-1985 rookie season he didn't participate in a hotel team party involving illegal drugs. He prioritized his career over partying. He said he was on his own.

2. Scottie Pippen started the season on the injury list. Jordan felt frustrated the team didn't play championship basketball. He called out players performing poorly.

3. Head coach Phil Jackson approved a 48 hour vacation request for Dennis Rodman. Jordan assisted in convincing Jackson to approve the request. Rodman lost his professional mentality after Pippen recovered from his injury. Also, Rodman was no longer Jordan's number two player because Pippen returned.

4. Follow-up to Rodman's 48 hour vacation request. Rodman spent at least 80 hours vacationing in Las Vegas, NV. The Bulls went after Rodman to bring him back.

The 1988-1989 and 1989-1990 teams lost to the Detroit Pistons in the Eastern Conference Finals. Jackson replaced Doug Collins as the head coach after the 1988-1989 season. Jackson used Tex Winter's triangle offense. The Bulls' 1989-1990 offseason workouts began the day after the team lost to the Pistons. The team got stronger. Stamina, endurance, and muscle improved. The Bulls won the next three NBA Championships 1990-1991, 1991-1992, and 1992-1993.

5. Jordan disclosed Isiah Thomas was not selected to the 1992 USA Men's Basketball Team Dream Team because he, Larry Bird, and Magic Johnson didn't like Thomas. Jordan disclosed everyone got along well. Everyone was happy the Dream Team played together.

6. I quote from the fictional character Tom Riddle from Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling, "Greatness inspires envy, envy engenders spite, spite spawns lies."

7. "Well, I mean. I don't know, I mean. Winning has a price. And leadership has a price. So I pulled people along when they didn't want to be pulled. I challenged people when they didn't want to be challenged. And I earned that right because my teammates who came after me didn't endure all the things that I endured. Once you joined the team, you lived at a certain standard that I played the game. And I wasn't going to take any less. Now if that means I had to go in there and get in your ass a little bit, then I did that. You ask all my teammates. The one thing about Michael Jordan was he never asked me to do something that he didn't fucking do. When people see this they are going say, 'Well he wasn't really a nice guy. He may have been a tyrant.' Well, that's you. Because you never won anything. I wanted to win, but I wanted them to win to be a part of that as well. Look, I don't have to do this. I am only doing it because it is who I am. That's how I played the game. That was my mentality. If you don't want to play that way, don't play that way. . . . Break." *Jordan requests a break*

8. Keep it simple. Jordan's press release he was coming back to the Bulls.


9. It's a red flag when five people deliver a pizza on the lighter side. People who cry have a soul on the serious side.

10. Live the present. Live the moment. You don't know when it ends. Nobody knows when it ends.

No comments: