Monday, July 13, 2020

Can't Always Go With The Flow

I remember a localized power outage on Sep 2019 which inspires today's blog. The power outage started at 3:19pm and ended at 6:04pm. I was learning Python when the power went out. I did small tasks such as read the newspaper, clean up my desk, and learn new rope knots afterwards. I didn't workout at the gym after dinner because the household ate a late lunch. I purchased take-out pizza from a local restaurant at 6:05pm for the late lunch. If I knew the power went back online, then I go home and cook the late lunch. I went with the flow. The power was out. I couldn't learn Python. All activities involving electricity were out during the late afternoon.

On the other hand, I went against the flow. I continued learning Python albeit I spent less time practicing code. I finished watching a movie I normally watch on weekends. I fell asleep at 3am because I was still full eating a late dinner.

A common life wisdom is go with the flow. Sometimes the easy way out going with the flow is the incorrect choice. I could declare the day a one-off day being lazy without a care in the world. I didn't. I went with the flow. I went against the flow. Strength, courage, and motivation are required to go against the flow. Get gritty. The assignment must be finished regardless of delays. Complete another checkbox in the project--at least make some checks. Doing something is better than doing nothing. Meet halfway. Do something one step closer to accomplish the goal. It doesn't have to be many steps given the previous flow is diverted.

Never use the go with the flow life wisdom as an excuse to neglect responsibilities.

Update On A Past Blog

I made a mistake in the honorable mention list for the Top Ten All-Time Bay Area Professional Athletes on Sun Jul 5, 2020. Marcus Allen played for the Los Angeles Raiders. The Raiders moved to Los Angeles during Allen's rookie season in 1982. An example of poor research and an example my memory is not perfect. Rick Barry from the Golden State Warriors replaces Allen.

Also, KGMZ 95.7 FM The Game neither mentioned the Bay Area athletes must be professional nor mentioned can play in any Bay Area schools or colleges. Some of The Game journalists include amateur athletes or athletes played in Bay Area colleges in their top ten list.

No comments: