Sunday, July 24, 2022

I Went To An Amusement Park During The Global Pandemic

I exited my comfort zone. I deactivated the COVID-19 risk-adverse shield. I was with groups of people including families, couples, and friends. I don't recall the last time I was present with groups of people pre-pandemic. I attended an amusement park yesterday. Mar 2020 was the last time I participated in any gathering before California shutdown on Mar 17, 2020.

I went to the Gilroy Gardens in Gilroy, CA. My brother invited my dad and I because his wife and his son couldn't attend. It was a last minute invite. I rushed preparation. I brought sunscreen. I wore my hiking clothes. Obviously, I brought my mask. I assured myself and my family I minimize my chances of getting COVID-19.

I did my best to social distance. I initiated social distancing when I walked around the park. I wore my mask except eating.

My observations are plenty. Few people wore masks. I saw one Gilroy Gardens employee wearing a mask. People were in groups without social distancing. I saw no groups initiating social distancing. People waited in line without social distancing. People ate in groups were closer than social distancing. People are tired of the global pandemic adjustments. People desire pre-pandemic normal life.

Headlines state omicron BA.5 is contagious and immune to present vaccines. I fear more people contract COVID-19 from Gilroy Gardens. I hope I don't contract COVID. Masks are not 100% protection.

It Was A Life Break

I admit I felt relaxed at the end of yesterday. Yesterday was a break from job training. Yesterday was a break from staying indoors throughout the day. Yesterday was a break from eating healthy. I cancelled my planned physical workout. I ate a vanilla chocolate chip ice cream inside two chocolate chip cookies for which I ate the ice cream at the car instead of inside the park. Yesterday was a change being outside San Jose throughout the day.

Am I going to spend more time outdoors with groups of people? It depends on my comfort feeling. It depends on the COVID-19 case numbers. It's case by case. It's a judgement call. Gilroy Gardens is a small amusement park. There was room for me to social distance when I walked; although, I couldn't control other people walking towards me when I'm either waiting in the shade or other people walking behind me. Did I smell good?

A final observation. I saw more obese children.

No comments: