Friday, July 29, 2022

Top Ten Plus Two Equals Top Twelve Hits And Top Ten Plus One Equals Top Eleven Misses

Hits and misses. The simplistic outcome of an event, a choice, a move, or an action. Hits succeed. Misses fail. Hits can be relative success. Fails can be absolute failures; on the other hand, fails can be successful as a successful failure. My number of hits is greater than the number of misses; however, my fails' weight, worth, value, and influence is greater than my hits. In other words, my fails are heavier than my hits on a balance scale. Life is unfair. The numbers are misleading. It's like a baseball game. The winning team scored more runs than the losing team; however, the losing team got more base hits than the winning team. Life is weird.

Here are my the top ten plus two equals top twelve hits:

12. My Two Blogs. I remember a conversation with a friend between Blogger and LiveJournal. He recommended LiveJournal. I choose Blogger. Blogger still exists. My two blogs are Innovating Common Knowledge and Finding Raymond Mar.

11. eBay. I started buying and selling on eBay in Dec 2002. Thank you for helping me sell my junk.

10. VirtualBox And Ubuntu. Learning Linux and Python are paying off. I'm confident these two skills help me for my next full-time job.

9. Settlers Of Catan. Thank you Settlers for bringing me back to board games starting in 2007.

8. Rich Dad Poor Dad. Robert Kiyosaki may be another person in the many investments experts. His first book educated me why the rich people are rich. WallStreetBets is recognized, too.

7. Innovate Infinitely. My life motto never stop innovating was created in Nov 2000. My webpage Innovate Infinitely went online on May 1, 2004.

6. O'Connor Hospital. I admitted myself to the emergency room on Apr 2, 2017. I was admitted as an in-patient requiring two surgeries. The doctors diagnosed me with Acute Gallstone Pancreatitis.

5. Steve Jobs. The late Apple co-founder influences my self-train genius. I read his biography written by Walter Isaacson twice.

4. Anime. I became an anime fan watching Sailor Moon on TV and purchasing my first anime series Ranma 1/2 in 1996. New friendships, new experiences, and new adventures were created. I retired from anime in 2014. Cosplay is recognized, too.

3. The Shawshank Redemption. There is a reason why the movie is number one in IMDb Charts Top 250 rated by IMDb Users. The movie saved my soul.

2. Infinite Learning. I combine job training, learning life skills, and learning useful skills. Examples of job training include reviewing Excel and SQL, learning Python, and learning basic finance. Examples of life skills include navigating with a compass, pioneering, and making paper airplanes. Examples of useful skills include rope knots, cook meals, and sew a button.

Honorable mention: Team Fortress 2 video game, social dancing, classic rock music including The Beatles, B.S. degree in Economics, and Breaking Bad television series.

1. Growing Up. My life changed forever on Sat Oct 4, 2008 when I realized I must grow up. The changes paid off immediately: new gym workouts, read fiction books, get back to clothes I used to wear, Gaming PC, Fry's Electronics $4 DVD movies, new mattress, new watch, wet shaving, classic jazz, and hiking.

Here are the top ten plus one equals top eleven misses:

11. Books. It's rare a book achieves a 100% approval rate for all its readers. Here is a sample of books I disliked: Wild by Cheryl Strayed, Olive Kidderidge by Elizabeth Strout, Up In The Air by Walter Kim, The Wind In The Willows by Kenneth Grahame, Ten Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Went Out Into the Real World by Maria Shriver, Unlimited Power by Anthony Robbins, and The Age Of Turbulence by Alan Greenspan.

10. Napster. I was stupid I paid for the subscription.

9. De Anza Classes. Writing a Business Plan, Beginning Japanese, and Beginning Singing were the three worse classes. On the one hand, I dropped Beginning Japanese which was the worse of the three. On the other hand, I should have dropped all three classes because they wasted my time. The Business Plan and Japanese instructors were terrible. The Beginning Singing was a mismatch of teacher and student expectations. I talked to a student the following quarter who completed the Beginning Japanese class. She said more than half of the students dropped out.

8. Green Tea. I'm in the minority regarding the health benefits of green tea. Drinking green tea daily negatively affects my body. Likewise with drinking eight glasses of water a day. I drink water when I'm thirsty. I stopped drinking green tea decades ago. I stopped drinking eight glasses of water after O'Connor Hospital. I'm the healthiest I've ever been today.

7. 2000 Dot-Com Crash. I failed to sell all my shares when NASDAQ reached 5,000. The crash was in the air. Admit it. I could have doubled my money easily.

6. Role-playing Games (RPGs). Many of my past friends hate my number six. Playing RPGs was a waste of my time. RPGs was a poor escape from life. RPGs was a poor leisure activity. It should not have been a match for my hobbies. Ironically, RPGs is a top life moment. I continue catching up what I missed today.

5. Cisco And Palo Alto Networks. I failed to strengthen my resume working at these successful networking companies. Ironically, I strengthen my resume when I worked at Blockbuster Video and a retail start-up selling artisan wines.

4. Growing Up Part 2. I wrote about my Growing Up Part 2 on Dec 6, 2012. The lesson I learned is personality. Be positive, cheerful, kindness, and joyful. I corrected myself on Oct 28, 2013 with The Correct Growing Up Part 2 saying I took the second growing up moment back. I made the wrong changes having too much fun and too little job preparedness. I corrected myself a second time on Oct 7, 2020 with The Correction To The Correct Growing Up Part 2 reiterating I lived life with too much fun. There is no growing up part 2.

3. Accounting. I earned an A.A. degree in Accounting during the 2008 Great Recession going back to school. As of today, the Accounting degree is a miss because I didn't find permanent employment. All my friends who were unemployed during the Great Recession found permanent jobs.

2. 2008 Great Recession. I failed to buy stocks when the stock market was down 50%.

1. 1990s. The 1990s was the best decade in history in my opinion. It was the ten years to be young making mistakes, experimenting, and learning. It was the best time to establish a foundation for the highest probability of long-term success. I fucked up.

Update On A Past Blog

The 1990s should have been my top mistake in Top Ten Mistakes, Bad Decisions, And Bad Choices written on Mar 22, 2013. Number ten Napster was the number one mistake in the blog. Number seven 2000 Dot-Com Crash and number nine De Anza Classes Beginning Singing were mentioned in the blog.

I add Short Circuit 2 to the list of movies I cried on Top Ten Make Me Cry written on Sep 26, 2021. The list of movies I cried is number nine in the top ten.

No comments: