Wednesday, April 05, 2023

Top Ten Redos

Today's mulligan blog is a redo. I redo a moment at a different time. I redo a moment the way it should have been in the first place. I redo a moment to increase my chances of being successful. I redo a moment to increase my chances of a better outcome. Here are the top ten redos:

10. Job Search Working At A Start-Up. I started working at a retail start-up selling high-end wines, beers, and sake at a discount price in Nov 2013. I found another job in Sep 2014. I started job searching in Aug 2014.

Redo: I started job searching in May 2014 when the company fired a manager because he was the fall-guy. Bad management was exposed. Also, the new beer buyer submitted his two-week notice at the end of his first day.

9. Anime Expo 2007. It was a disaster when Anime Expo was held at the Long Beach Convention Center in Long Beach, CA. Hotel overbookings, hot weather, not enough parking, convention center too small, and crowds too big for the downtown.

Redo: I skipped Anime Expo 2007 instead of Anime Expo 2008. Anime Expo moved back to the Los Angeles Convention Center in 2008. Anime Expo was held in Anaheim, CA from 2003 to 2006.

8. Fanime Con 2013. I planned Fanime Con 2013 to be my last anime convention for the rest of my life. I skipped day one for good reason. Con attendees waited hours for their membership badges. I was lucky. I waited one hour on day two.

Redo: Fanime Con 2012 should have been my last anime convention. I should have ended my anime convention experience on a good note.

7. De Anza College Winter 2006. I enrolled in a business plan night class. I went back to De Anza College from 2009 to 2011 to earn an A.A. degree in Accounting.

Redo: Take one evening accounting class starting in Winter 2006 instead of going back to school full time in Fall 2009. A bold redo is quit my job, become a full-time student taking accounting classes, and transfer to San Jose State University. I earn a B.A. in Business Administration-Accounting when the economy recovered from the Great Recession in 2011. My full disclosure connecting the dots backwards is who knew about the Great Recession in 2006. Five years is sufficient time earning a B.A. taking night classes.

6. Mahjong (Riichi). I started learning Japanese Mahjong in summer 2007. I quit because it was too hard. I relearned in Oct 2009 because a friend challenged another friend and I to learn the basics in one week. I have been playing ever since.

Redo: I continued learning Riichi finding better ways. Riichi might have saved 2007 from becoming one of the worse years in my life.

5. Moved To The New House. My parents moved the family to a new house in summer 1983. My parents heisted moving in 1982.

Redo: My parents accepted the bold choice to move in 1982. How my childhood life changed moving to a new neighborhood one year earlier is another blog.

4. Job Search Working In Commercial Real Estate. I job searched in Jan 2007 resulting in a new job at Cisco in Mar 2007.

Redo: I job searched starting in summer 2006. Bad management became front and center throughout the partnership.

Redo addendum: I job searched during the Great Recession. Two friends found jobs in 2009.

3. Changed Majors At San Jose State University. I changed majors from Mathematics to Economics in Fall 1995.

Redo: I changed majors in Fall 1994. The Math 42 Discrete Mathematics class should have been a wake-up call in Fall 1994. I struggled proving math formulas and math theories.

2. Stock Investing. I sold all my dot-com stocks after the 2000 dot-com recession. Most of the stocks sold were at a loss.

Redo: I sold all my stocks the day after NASDAQ closed above 5,000 for the first time in history. I remember a conversation with a senior executive broker who listened to a financial expert who said sell all stocks. Also, I purchased stocks during the Great Recession when the markets were down an average of 50%.

1. The Day I Grew Up. I grew up on Sat Oct 4, 2008. The changes were immediate. For example, new clothes, new workouts, new desktop computer, and reading more fiction books.

Redo: I grew up on Mon Mar 17, 2007 which was the first day I started working at Cisco.

Update On A Past Blog

I add more life saves to the Top Ten Saves blog written on Apr 25, 2020. These saves are ordered date descending.

Wall Street Bets (Jan 2021). GameStop, AMC, Sundial Growers, and Nokia. Stock options. Short squeeze. Naked short selling. The stock market events made me a smarter investor. The stock market events revitalized my interest in the stock market. There is no more passive stock investing.

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling (Sep 2019-Mar 2020). I fail to explain why Harry Potter was not mentioned on the same month I finished reading all seven books. Hindsight is 20-20. The COVID-19 global pandemic shutdown the world on Mar 2020. I'm reading the books for the third time. Moreover, the next blog was Top Ten Plus Nine Equals Top Nineteen Harry Potter Adult Perspective Takeaways blog written on Apr 29, 2020.

The Shawshank Redemption (Sep 2019). I mentioned the movie in saves number seven. A special recognition. The movie saved my life. The movie saved my soul. The movie set me free.

Python (May 2015). I mentioned Python in saves number three. A special recognition. I thank my friend Appu for introducing Python, Linux, and a text editor together.

Physics 61 Lab (Spring 1995). My lab partner JoshC. We were the worst lab team. I was the worst lab student. I couldn't pass the class without your help.

No comments: