Sunday, January 25, 2009

Washington Canada 2008: Day 5 of 6 Wed Nov 19

A Day In Seattle

I woke up at 7:45am. How I woke up early the reason was unknown. I channel surfed the TV and ate my breakfast consisting of English muffins, orange, banana, cashews, and yogurt. I watched War Games that reminded me of the Coleco video game. Steve and I took our time in the morning including checking emails.

Steve needed to mail packages and letters. We departed the house at 10:25am and arrived at the post office at 10:30am. Steve's plan was to take the car to Seattle via the ferry from Southworth to Fauntleroy or West Seattle to avoid the traffic on the freeways. Then we drove to Downtown Seattle where we visit the Rock 'n Roll and Science Fiction museums and REI. We then shop around the Seattle Center. And visit Kerry Park at Queen Anne overlooking downtown.

We arrived at the ferry at 11:00am and the ferry departed at 11:10am on schedule. We saw a car with a California license plate. The license plate reminded me of the license plate conversation from the Washington Canada '05 trip. We agreed California plates were too simple and ugly. California plates have no picture and no words. We played Fluxx in the passenger seating area. The small ferry was cozy and included a snack bar. I won another game with All You Need Is Love.

The ferry docked at Fauntleroy at 11:50am. We drove off and there was a Washington State Trooper directing traffic. Where was his squad car? The homes in Fauntleroy reminded me of the homes in most of Santa Barbara. The signal lights were simple. One turn signal for left turns and two signals for going straight.

Going To The Top

We arrived in downtown at 12:10pm. The first stop was REI where I want to climb the indoor climbing wall. We parked in the parking garage below the REI store. At 12:18pm, we entered the store. My first stop was the sunglasses to replace the Ray Bans I lost at Port Angeles. I purchased a Nativesile sports sunglasses pair for $145. Another blessing in disguise? I mention because I lost an old pair of sunglasses in the 2004 Las Vegas trip and I purchased a much better pair for $125. The Las Vegas sunglasses broke in Oct 2007.

Now it was time to climb the wall. Steve and I walked to the indoor wall climbing at 12:47pm. The fee to climb the wall was $20. The worker said I'm better off buying a REI membership because the membership fee was $20 and included a free wall climb. No brainer here. I purchased the REI membership. Damn, I could have used the 10% divided discount for my sunglasses. Oh, well. I got a free wall climb so it evens out. Not worth arguing because Steve and I had lots to do today. The Seattle REI was the only REI offering a free wall climb for new REI members. Lucky! The pics below are me climbing the wall at 1:02pm after receiving safety instructions.




I arrived at a checkpoint at 1:08pm. I almost quit. See with your mind, not with your eyes. The spot I almost quit, I figured out I needed to grab the whatever it's called step with both my hands and with both arms I pulled myself upwards. The rest of the way was easy. Marcus encouraged me to continue.







My arms and hips were a little sore. The new gym workout paid off. I must continue to improve my workout infinitely ;)

Steve and I finished shopping quickly. I purchased camping dessert and a flash cards set on how to tie knots for campers. Steve purchased a flash card set for boaters to give his Dad. We planned to try the camping dessert tonight at home. I also purchased an Odwalla bar because I was hungry and needed energy after the climb. I had bottle water in the car. After purchasing, I completed an REI feedback for Marcus. We walked out of REI at 1:39pm.

If I’m Into Real Estate

Steve suggested we visit Queen Anne because there was sunlight and the weather was good for pics. I agreed. We headed to Queen Anne. We passed the Seattle Center including the Key Arena where the Seattle Supersonics used to play. The basketball team is in Oklahoma City and play as the Thunder. We saw the tall cell phone tower and I joked the tower was Verizon. Verizon FTW!

We arrived at Queen Anne and Kerry Park at 2:00pm. We took pics. The surrounding neighborhood was nothing like my home area and the Bay Area. The neighborhood looked like the rich neighborhood in the Eastern USA from the pictures I saw in books and magazines and images from TV. Steve said rich people lived in Queen Anne. I saw kids wearing expensive private school uniforms. Pics overlooking Downtown Seattle from Kerry Park below XD






We departed at 2:12pm and headed to the Rock 'n Roll and Science Fiction museums in the Seattle Center. We arrived at a Seattle Center parking garage at 2:16pm. Then we walked to the Seattle Center. We passed the Mario McGaw Hall where Steve watches opera and plays. The hall was preparing for the Winterfest. I saw the big water fountain in the park next the Key Arena. Downtown San Jose could have a better water fountain. At the entrance to the Seattle Center, we saw a Seattle police car. I took pics of the closeup car. The car failed because there were stickers on the car -__-

We ate a late lunch at the Seattle Center Food Court at 2:27pm. Steve ordered Chinese and I ordered Japanese. We got poor values for our meals. I stick with hamburgers next time. The center was also preparing for Winterfest. The workers were building a Christmas winter town with toy trains, people moving, and buildings and homes with lights.



After we finished lunch, we walked to the Rock 'n Roll museum. Admission to the Rock 'n Roll museum included access to the Science Fiction museum. We arrived at the entrance at 3:10pm. The worker said the museum closed at 5pm. Change of plans. We go tomorrow before I fly back home. The rest of the day was shopping.

We walked out of the museum to the car. We saw the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation center under construction on North 5th Ave. We stopped at a used bookstore that was selling bookshelves. If I remember correctly, the bookstore was either moving or consolidating. The store was another example of the recession. I purchased Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverely Cleary. After the bookstore, we walked back to the Seattle Center to use the restrooms. We drove out of the parking garage at 4:16pm.



Great Timing At Half Price Books

The next store was Half Price Books. Along the way, I saw signal lights on wires. I never saw signals on wires in California today. I remembered signals on wires when I was a child. There were no potholes on the streets. There were condos under construction. I thought about myself living a life in a condo in downtown. Steve mentioned an elegant party he attended and drank champagne. There was no music played in the car. Steve turned off the radio during commercials.

We arrived at Half Price Books at 4:25pm. Steve and I agreed timing was always a factor at Half Price Books. Sometimes the deals were there and sometimes the deals were not there. Today, timing was in my favor. I purchased Half Walk In, a New York Times bestseller for $2.00. Costco sold the book for $9.00. The book condition was good. Steve continued to shop and I looked at the bargain CDs. I found Natalie Cole's Unforgettable CD for $1.00. Natalie Cole sang her father Nat King Cole's greatest hits on her way to win Grammies. I just started to get into jazz and I was shopping for bargain jazz CDs. For $1, sure I purchase Natalie Cole.

On the way to Interstate 5, I saw a Play It Again Sports store, a used sports equipment store, in Downtown Seattle. The Play It Again Sports in the Bay Area are out of business as far as I'm concerned. There are no stores here. Highway 5 was commuter traffic at 5:50pm. Steve drove on the carpool lane.

The next Half Price Books was in Tukwila. We arrived at 6:07pm. We also thought about where we eat for dinner. There was a Japanese restaurant in the shopping center Half Price Books was. The prices were a little high and we passed. I purchased a Vertical Horizon CD for $1.

We drove to Tacoma to visit the Tacoma Book Center. At 7:13pm, we arrived at the store near Tacoma Dome that was closed. Steve saw a concert a long time ago. I think it was Paul McCarthy.

The last Half Price Book store was in Tacoma. We arrived at the Tacoma Half Price Books at 7:23pm. Jackpot! The best out of the three. I could have purchased more. I settled for the Gone in 60 Seconds DVD starting Nicholas Cage, Who Moved My Cheese book, and Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus book. The store promoted Black Friday. The first 100 customers receive a tote bag and a $5 shopping card. One tote bag contains a $100 gift card.

Dinner Time

Steve and I ate at Chevy's at 8:11pm. Steve ordered the Taste of Chevy's combo and I ordered Dos Combos with a chicken taco and a beef taco. We talked about Half Price Books stores and how timing was everyone, the plan for the rest of the night, the plan for my last day, and the economy. Steve was more optimistic than me for the economy in 2009.

We arrived home at 9:36pm. We watched Gone In 60 Seconds. Steve never saw the movie before. Steve went to bed after the movie. I stayed up to finish watching Dr. Strangelove again. I failed. I went to bed. And we forgot to eat the camping dessert.

I'm growing up Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: