Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Where Was I When Dow Closed Above 7,000 For The First Time?

On Mon Feb 23, 2009, the Dow Jones and S&P 500 closed to levels reached in 1997. The Dow closed at 7,115, the lowest since May 7, 1997. The S&P 500 closed at 752.44, the lowest since April 14, 1997.

I was a student at San Jose State when the Dow closed above 7,000 for the first time on Feb 13, 1997. I remember reading articles in magazines such as Time and Newsweek and business magazines making a big deal in the library between classes. There were interviews with business leaders and even the common people asking where were you on the day the Dow reached 7,000. I was taking Principles of Investments class for my Economics major, and I didn’t understand the significance. The class was my first time I learned stocks and investments.

Spring Semester 1997 was a roller-coaster semester. There were times I did great in exams and homework and there were times I did poor in exams and homework. Fortunately, I ended the semester on a high note. Timing is everything :D I worked part-time at Blockbuster. Tiger Woods was the youngest gofer to win a Masters. There was the Paula Jones sex scandal.

I'm growing up Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: