Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Good You Experience Being Unemployed Is Unfair

Life is not fair - get used to it. --Bill Gates, Rule #1 In His 11 Rules For Real Life

It sucks being unemployed. The feeling is the simplest explained in words. Let it out. It sucks. Bill Gates is correct. Life is not fair. One of the best ways to experience unfair life is being unemployed. I hear stories how some employed people can't do their jobs. I played Mahjong last month. One of the players told me a newly hired sales assistant doesn't know Idaho is a state. A friend who was a contractor at Google told me another contractor always asked her co-workers technology questions regarding apps. How did she get the job?

I attended job networking seminars. I met good people who didn't deserve being unemployed. They have skills, knowledge, and good team work attitude any company should hire them. It was ridiculous seeing them in job seminars.

Timing and luck are factors finding a job. I know people who got jobs two months after they were laid off. I know an engineer who took six months and a project manager who took eleven months to get their next jobs. I fear being unemployed for at least six months because the definition of unemployed long term is being out of work at least six months. I feel luck is against me. There were a few phone interviews for which I was the first candidate. I don't want to be the first candidate in any interview because first candidate interviews have lower chances of being hired. First candidates set the bar.

Also, there were positions I interviewed face-to-face I didn't get the job. Time passed. I saw these same positions back online; likewise for some of my phone interviews. The companies either rejected all of the candidates or the new hire quit days after he or she started. A contact person in one of the companies I interviewed face-to-face told me my rejection was a blessing in disguise. Nobody liked the person who was training me if I got the job.

Here is the best timing and luck story I remember for a long time. A contractor found another job via her job agency one week before her contract was satisfied. She started the following Monday. The new contract was 18 months. The new contract paid a higher hourly wage. She didn't have to update her resume. And she didn't have to interview. She was lucky. I feel like the workforce wants me to stay away.

Frustration

Seeing the positions I interviewed back online is the most frustrating part of the job search. I believe some companies want to hire the 100% perfect employee as if the job market was during the Great Recession. Companies could be picky. I also believe the job candidate meeting 75% of the criteria is the better hire than the 100% perfect employee. The company has the opportunity to train the remaining 25% to work their company's way. A worker with a solid work core, genuine sincerity, good communication, and the ability to learn is the better hire than someone with a 100% already know how to do the job. A friend who worked at a start-up told me the candidates human resources provided were bad job candidates for his open positions despite matching experiences and matching job skills. They had a know-it-all and cocky attitudes. He felt they weren't team players. He preferred hiring new people telling me, "I rather hire someone off the street. Give me 48 hours to train (the new hire). I teach the system. I teach what needs to be learned."

Some job agencies submit my job profile to a job opening because I have the solid work core and the job skills foundation. The agencies know I learn the position. The job agencies' clients rejected my job profile because I don't have relevant experience. For example, I was submitted to a benefits analyst position, sales commission analyst position, and a variety of data analyst and business analyst positions. I easily met the minimum qualifications. I learn the preferred qualifications without problems. The clients want someone who knows it now without training.

The best way to make the job search fairer is searching for a full time job intelligently is a full time job. An unemployed person has all the time in the world. Use the time learning new skills. I learn dashboards, linear regression, and Oracle. Use the time refreshing existing new skills. I refresh my Excel, SQL, and Salesforce. Job search six days a week. I want a job. I must search for a job. A job offer is not coming to me on a silver platter. If I stop job searching, I'm going to be unemployed indefinitely.

Email: feedbackininblog@innovateinfinitely.com

No comments: