Thursday, March 30, 2006

Wednesday Nights At Home

Wednesday March 29, 2006 was my last day of class at De Anza College. Here is a brief recap: Summer 2005, I wanted to start a small business. De Anza College, a local junior college, offered a business plan night class Wednesday nights for Winter Quarter 2006. I drove from work to college and attend class. I took the final on Wednesday.

The instructor, a Certified Public Accountant or CPA, taught the class. He taught everything outside the book . . . heck, he never used a textbook and the students didn’t need to purchase a textbook. Examples he taught included LLCs, sole proprietorships, taxes, business licenses, financial statements, and shared personal experiences. The instructor didn’t teach anything directly related to how to write a business plan.

Many students were disappointed the instructor didn’t teach the students how to write a business plan. For me, in my opinion, nobody can write a presentable business plan in three months. It takes months (and perhaps years) to write a winning business plan to get funding. Additional study and learning are required, and is the same for all business classes and learning business in general Almost nobody creates a winning stock portfolio in their first year trading stocks. And, yes, I continue learning how to write a business plan starting next week.

Am I going to miss classes? In a way, the answer is yes. The class was my first time in a quarter system. San Jose State University is a semester system. Quarter systems go by fast. It felt like yesterday was the first week of January. Here are what I’m going to miss:

*Meeting people. I met a lot of students with different experiences, and I learned something from everyone.
*Driving to college instead of home. De Anza College is 20-25 minutes from work. Traffic was never a problem.
*Just going back to school. I felt weird going back to school. The last time I attended classes was December 1997, my last month at San Jose State.
*I learned something. The instructor taught a lot of material, and I use the material when I start my business. I learned almost nothing during my undergraduate studies when I compare the business plan class and my years at San Jose State.

Thank you to the instructor and the students I met. I hope to see everyone sometime in the future with their successful businesses :-))

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resume? I don't need a resume. Here is my resume: Innovator. I'm available to innovate for hire.

No comments: