Monday, October 26, 2009

De Anza Week Oct 19, 2009

Mon Oct 19, 2009

I took my first mid-term at De Anza and my first after I graduated San Jose State in 1997. The mid-term was OK. I never say I did good, great, or aced it. If I know I did poorly, I say I did poorly and I treat myself to a vanilla shake, lol! Most of the questions were straight forward. There were some tricky questions I hoped I figured out.

I know I'm taking Accounting 1A, the basics of the basics. Throughout the first third of the quarter, I understood and comprehended the concepts either the first time or the second time from the lectures and/or from the readings. I felt smart—really smart. I never felt this smart ever in my life. These four weeks reminded me of a classmate at San Jose State. His name was Richard King. I took Calculus I, II, and III and C++ programming. He saved my ass many times. He rarely wrote notes. He focused on the lectures. Homework, quizzes, mid-terms, and finals he earned A's. I felt like Richard King. Of course, this is De Anza. What if I took basic accounting at San Jose State?!? Final word, maybe I'm focused because I'm mature compared to when I was a student at San Jose State. Another possibility is I eat breakfast everyday and I workout. I don't think the reason is I'm taking one class.

There was a surprised storm. The campus became wet in a matter of hours.

In dancing, we finished the Nite Club Two Step routine for the mandatory Dance Demonstration on Wed Dec 2. Girls or followers, let the guy or the leader lead. The next dance we learned was East Coast Swing. Two students stayed after class for practice and questions. I didn't. I had to leave to buy milk. I drink whole milk. Ballroom dancing is great. I hope more people learn how to dance. I have nobody to go social dancing with *cries*

Wed Oct 21, 2009

I arrived at class late. I knew there was no quiz so I was OK. The reason I was late is I played Japanese Mahjong online. I found a flash version and I played for two hours. Not good.

The mean was 78 and the median was 81. One of the students told me the students' mood was gloomy. Many students didn't do well. The instructor mentioned possible extra credit work and assured students most beginning accounting students don't do well in the first exam. Some of the students with low scores were understandable such as work and raising a family. The student who was laid off at Yahoo is a mother. My score? I aced it.

The rest of the class the instructor talked about the project. We are going to look at Wal-Mart's annual report and do a project on it. The requirements are straightforward. The project is due on the last day of class; however, we're not ready to start on the project because we still need to learn more accounting concepts.

The instructor didn't start lecturing Chap 4. The homework is due on Sat Oct 24. It looks like I'm on my own. I reread the chapter and start on the homework Thur morning.

We continued to practice the cha cha cha and we continued learning the fox trot. Lots of students arrived late. There were a few students who were rude when the instructor was teaching. I didn't stay afterwards for additional practice.

I'm growing up Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: