Saturday, January 03, 2015

40 For 40: Loma Preita Earthquake Oct 1989

Introduction: I start a new blog series titled "40 For 40." I share moments and experiences I lived in my 40 years. The ESPN 30 For 30 inspired me to create my 40 For 40 blogs. The sport documentary series detailed people, sport teams, moments, events, and controversial situations. The same ideas apply to my 40 For 40.

My first 40 For 40 blog includes a sports event which was featured in ESPN 30 For 30. My blog is the Loma Preita Earthquake which delayed Game 3 of the 1989 World Series for 10 days.


I was studying Algebra in my room on the second story in my house. I didn't watch Game 3 of the 1989 World Series between the San Francisco Giants and the Oakland Athletics. The World Series was called "The Battle Of The Bay" or "The Bay Bridge Series" because both teams are in the San Francisco Bay Area. My parents raised me to focus on school work and studying. No TV on school nights. My parents should have taught me to live life more free. I can write another blog on my parents raising me.

The 6.9 magnitude earthquake shook at 5:04pm Tue Oct 17, 1989. My house shook for two seconds. A pause. Then the house shook left and right. It was like I shook a jar full of coins. The coins moved everywhere. The sound was loud. I heard the windows rattling. I heard objects falling off shelves and cupboards. I ran from my desk to the door way. I kept my balance. I said "Oh shit!" really loud.

The 15 second earthquake stopped. I ran downstairs surveying the inside. No structural damage. Lots of objects fell to the ground. Fortunately, the kitchen experienced the least damage. The doors to the cupboards held closed. It was a miracle. The big rectangle sized bird cage fell to the ground. I took the birds with me to the backyard to evacuate myself after taking one minute surveying the home. I saw the birds' heartbeats beating fast. They were scared.

I stayed in the backyard for 15 minutes. I went back inside to turn out the television. Electricity was out. I entered and exited the house frequently. I studied Biology when I was inside. Schoolwork was still in my mind. I comprehended the earthquake destruction months later--even years later. I believed I took myself for granted my family and I experienced no significant effects.

I saw an aircraft flying at low altitude a few times when I was outside. It was a police aircraft patrolling the area. The remaining daylight my mom, siblings, and I cleaned up. My dad arrived home at full darkness. He said all the traffic lights were out. His commute was rough; however, the commute could have been a disaster if there wasn't a World Series. Most people went home early from work to watch the baseball game.

The family and I continued to feel aftershocks in the evening. I gathered all emergency items to the kitchen. I was in street clothes wearing shoes in case I need to evacuate. I stayed in the kitchen the longest. The kitchen was next to the front door. My preparedness attitude was with me the entire night. No schoolwork entered my mind. Everyone else took the evening lightly. We listened to the news radio with battery operated radios. We used candles after assuring no gas leaks.

I went to sleep late. My bed continued to move as aftershocks continued. It took me a long time to fall asleep.

Side note: My uncle could have died at the Cypress Street Viaduct Nimitz Freeway which collapsed. 42 people died. He drove on the viaduct during his commute. His doctor's appointment diverted him another route.

Email: feedbackininblog@innovateinfinitely.com

No comments: