Wednesday, November 18, 2015

40 For 40: My First Visit At Google

Introduction: I start a new blog series titled "40 For 40." I share moments and experiences I lived in my 40 years. The ESPN 30 For 30 inspired me to create my 40 For 40 blogs. The sport documentary series detailed people, sport teams, moments, events, and controversial situations. The same ideas apply to my 40 For 40.

My fifth 40 For 40 blog is my first visit at Google campus for an interview.


I felt good interviewing for a contract data analyst position at Google in Nov 2012. I interviewed for six companies during the latter half of 2012. Six interviews were not bad for someone job searching after graduating from De Anza. I felt foolish afterwards which lasted one year.

The building was located a few blocks from the main campus. Google leased an industrial building which was converted to a call center. The call center went live in Jul 2012. I was surprised Google needed a call center. I joked someone calls for instructions how to use the search engine.

Some of the workers parked blocks away because there were not enough parking spaces. I was lucky to find a parking space. My contractor company should have informed me the parking situation.

One sign the interview was going to be bad when my contact person didn't answer my call. I waited past the scheduled arrival time outside the lobby. My contact person went to the cafeteria to bring lunch. The action was unprofessional in my opinion.

The inside of the building was laid back. There was a pool table and foosball table past the lobby. The break room was stocked with drinks, sodas, fruits, coffee, cereal, and snacks. There were showers in the restrooms. The bulletin board was written with positive comments and peer-to-peer complements. The workers' cubicle walls were a little above the height of their desks. It was easy for workers to talk to other workers. The working environment was relaxed, loose, and fun.

My interview was divided into two sections. The first section was an IQ test and a personality test required by Google. I was assigned an empty desk with a computer to complete the tests. The tests took an hour total.

The second section was the interview. It was a Google video chat. My webcam was obsolete which explains why I interviewed at Google. The hiring manager was on vacation. The position must be filled immediately. The person to person interviews after her vacation were too late. I became foolish during the interview. I asked the hiring manager ridiculous questions during my portion of the interview. I asked such as, "Tell me something you discovered recently?" "What is the last book you read?" "What is your dream car and why?" Most of the questions I asked were unrelated to the job. I corrected the clock before I walked out of the conference room because it was one hour behind. Did someone forget to switch the clock to standard time or was the wrong time a test?

The foolishness continued afterwards. I adapted the laid back lifestyle. I lived life having too much fun. The people I observed in the call center were having fun. They were conversing. They were laughing. The person I talked after the tests told me everyone was happy working at the call center. I dropped the fun attitude in Oct 2013. I realized the people were having too much fun. They were bored. There was no work. There were no calls.

The foolish life lessons were learned. I lost my focus on the most important priorities. I failed to prepare for my next job opportunity. My job searching was ineffective; for example, I found an error on my resume I sent to job openings for months. I reviewed my existing job skills poorly at a website. I should have reviewed watching YouTube tutorials. I didn't learn new job skills. The bottom line was I took life too lightly.

Side note 1: Another reason I didn't get the job was I submitted incomplete references. I believed the contractor company called my references. It was the first time a prospective employer called my references in my job experience.

Side note 2: I have knowledge from former Googlers working at Google is overrated. Free meals, free drinks, free snacks, gyms, bicycles to travel around the campus, a liberal dress code, etc. However, the work environment is no different than other tech companies. There are politics, workplace drama, and incompetent workers.

Email: feedbackininblog@innovateinfinitely.com

No comments: