Tuesday, September 14, 2021

I Was Lonely, I Fell Through The Cracks, Everyone Let Me Go

Today's blog is an update on a past blog. I write more reasons why growing up too late was not my fault.

Update On A Past Blog

Growing Up Too Late Was Not My Fault was a blog written on Nov 14, 2015 assuring my past problems delayed adult maturity. I'm lucky. I grew up on Sat Oct 4, 2008. I'm responsible for my life. I'm responsible to solve my problems. I'm responsible to earn my successes. I continue catching up what I missed in my younger years. All is forgiven. Here are more reasons why I grew up too late:

Wilson Elementary School. I remember the three below in pre-school:

*School bus. I rode the school bus which was a van. The van was marked school bus with the yellow and black colors, long length seats, and red flashing lights. All the students didn't wear seat belts. My mom said the first day of school she and my baby brother rode the school bus because I was scared.
*Time out. I cried a lot during the beginning of the school year. I was frustrated I cried and took my bagged school lunch and hid in the time out section one day. I didn't have a kid lunch box. The time out section was a red and white color gymnastics floor mat inverted to form an enclosed section with a desk facing the wall in the classroom.
*Miss Sue. She was my red hair teacher. I believed she quit on me. I was a lost cause. Miss Sue taught the students who were more likely to succeed.

Wilson closed on June 30, 1989 according to the California Department Of Education School Directory. The school opened on July 1, 1980. I attended Wilson in 1978-1979. Either the website is incorrect or Wilson was a private school before it became public. The school buildings no longer exist. It was demolished to build homes.

Reading Lab. I had reading comprehension problems. I attended a reading lab in first grade, fifth grade, and sixth grade. I'm not sure I attended a reading lab in second grade; although, I remember going to a big room multiple times where a teacher taught by flash cards. I remember the teachers: first grade was Mrs. Jones, fifth grade was Miss Smith, and six grade was Mrs. Kumagai. The reading labs didn't help me. I realized my reading comprehension problems was poor short-term memory. I read a sentence. I forgot what I read immediately many times.

The Rest Of My School Teachers. I slipped through the cracks. The teachers quit on me like Miss Sue. The teachers gave up. I was a lost cause. No motivation. No desire. Impatient. The teachers focused their time on students who could be saved. It was an example of life is not fair.

Little Parent Involvement. I repeat the Too much fun from the Growing Up Too Late Was Not My Fault blog. I had too much fun. I had too little learning.

Piano Teachers Quit. My mom forced me, my brother, and my sister to play the piano. It was not the piano teachers fault I played poorly. I hated piano. I didn't practice enough. I realized I'm partially tone deaf. I couldn't comprehend the loud sounds and soft sounds. I have small hands. Reaching the keys were difficult.

Side note 1: The best deal my mom didn't take. I made a deal to my mom I learn swimming, I learn Chinese, I take summer school, and I participate in anything in exchange for no piano lessons. She refused the deal. I wonder how my life changed if I was active in all of the above except piano--less fun and more learning.

Side note 2: I can't swim because I can't tread water. I have a buoyancy problem. I sink no matter how I'm taught treading water.

Side note 3: The Chinese class was taught on Friday nights. Friday nights!?! Who wanted to teach a class on Friday nights!?!

My Managers. I performed my jobs with outstanding results even though my flaws were obvious. Management believed don't touch me. Management accepted my flaws. Management ignored my problems hoping they solve by themselves. Nobody wanted to help me solve my problems. Nobody wanted to help fix my flaws.

I compensate my learning problems taking control, finding solutions, and going back to the past. My short-term memory problems are solved by writing notes to remember names, facts, instructions, future blogs, new knowledge learned, appointments, and tasks.

I learn by repetition. I learn by practice. I learn by drilling. I earned higher grades every time I followed the procedure in school. I earned lower grades every time I didn't follow the procedure in school. I wished somebody confirmed the repetition, practicing, and drilling when I was young. Everyone learns differently. Write notes, repetition, practice, and drill are how I learn when I learn new job skills, review existing job skills, learn life skills, and review life skills learned. The new job skills I have been learning include R, Python, and Linux. The existing job skills I have been practicing include Excel, SQL, and Power BI. The new life skills I learn and I practice include tying knots, sewing a button, cooking new meals, and folding clothes quickly.

No comments: