Saturday, February 18, 2006

Don't See With Your Eyes, See With Your Mind

Obi-Wan: I suggest you try it again, Luke. That time, let go your conscious self . . . and act on instinct.

[Obi-Wan places helmet with blast shield on Luke.]

Luke: With the blast shield down, I can't even see. How am I supposed to fight?

Obi-Wan: Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them.

The above scene was from Star Wars IV: A New Hope. Luke was getting light saber training in the Millennium Falcon. (I hope I spelled correctly. Steve, my Star Wars expert, can verify my Star Wars knowledge. *Hee, hee*) The scene is my all-time favorite scene. Why?

For many of us, we are told to use our instincts or our gut feelings. Learn to trust gut feelings. Our instincts tend to be the correct choices.

I'm going to take the scene above and expand it which answers the question why the scene is my all-time favorite. When Obi-Wan said eyes can be deceiving, he is correct big time. Think about it. Many people depend on their eyes too much. They fail to think carefully whether what is seen is the truth. To correct the error, they must think with their minds. See with their minds and the truth is exposed.

One example is the 401(k). Almost all financial advisors say to contribute the maximum to the 401(k). The money going to the 401(k) is pre-taxed. Your yearly taxable income goes down. Sounds good. Is it? Well, when you take money out of your 401(k) and you are at a higher tax bracket, you are going to pay more in taxes when the money comes out rather than paying taxes on the money going in. Doesn't make sense?

Many financial advisors say put money in the 401(k). They show charts, show examples, and tell you the facts money goes up. Yes, you see the information with your eyes. Are you seeing the information with your mind?

Using the mind to see, more can be seen and thought through. There are many scams, many deceptions, many fine-prints, many advertisements . . . many stuff to see. See everything with your mind and you see through any scams, deceptions, fine print, (false or misleading) advertisements--and do it everyday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resume? I don't need a resume. Here is my resume: Innovator. I'm available to innovate for hire.

No comments: