Sunday, January 09, 2011

De Anza Week Jan 3, 2011

Mon Jan 3

Today is a good day back to school. One, my winter quarter is Mon and Wed only. No more going to school Mon-Thur. Second, it seemed the mood was better than the first day of Winter ’10. I walked around campus and many people were in high spirits. I think the reason was they had a bad 2010 year and looked forward to 2011. Third, timing continued to be in my favor. All of the classes I have taken benefited me for Winter ’11; for example, the instructor who teaches this quarter’s Intermediate Accounting Part I is terrible, and the class is at night.

There were few parking spaces at Flint Center Parking Garage around 12:10pm. I park at Flint Center for one month and then I park at Stelling. I arrived at Intermediate Acct at 12:20pm at my usual seat. The professor arrived on time; however, he had to walk to his office to get the roster. Last quarter, the instructor arrived late almost every class meeting. We were assigned our first homework assignment. The green sheet stated two mid-term exams covering three chapters each. We see if he actually gives two mid-terms. He gave one last quarter and many students were unhappy because they did poorly on the first mid-term.

My next class is Introduction to Business immediately after Intermediate Acct. My classmates told me Intro to Bus is easy. I made a note even though I never take anything for granted. It is easy—so far. I looked at the first homework assignment. I knew all the answers from my accounting classes and my economics degree. Timing is everything. Objectively speaking, it’s an introduction class, a broad class for students new to business. I expect economic concepts to be explained in lament terms.

My Intro to Bus instructor owns a business in Palo Alto. He has taught financial planning classes and teaches at De Anza part time. He past jobs includes running two banks and being an executive at Charles Schwab. He has degrees in University of California, Berkeley and Minnesota.

I have a break between Intro to Bus and Social Dance. I use the break to study or run errands and eat my late lunch. Today’s break I ran errands and ate before dance class.

I plan to attend both Mon and Wed’s Social Dance. Mon’s class was full. There were three regulars or return students in the class. The feature dance is the Nite Club Two Step. Tonight’s lesson was typical. There were the usual mistakes just like I made when I learned for the first time. Next week the attendance is lower as there are always students who drop.

Wed Jan 5

It’s nice going to school two days a week instead of four days. I met one of my classmates from Intermediate Acct and Integrated Computer Acct in Fall ’10. We small talked our winter vacation and Winter ’11 classes. One of these days, I eat at his restaurant Sushi Maru where he works.

The professor finished Chapter 11 in Intermediate Acct. The green sheet stated Chapter 11 is not on the first mid-term. Chap 11 is Acct 1B concepts. I anticipated the homework is not difficult.

The instructor finished Chapter 2 in Intro to Bus. I rented the textbook instead of buying the textbook. I use the downloadable PowerPoint slides in .pdf to write notes when I read the textbook. Students can’t write and highlight on rented textbooks.

Wed’s Social Dance class was a good turnout. I could have saved my six and final dance enrollment for Spring ’11 just in case there was a threat the class is cancelled. There were many familiar returning faces. The feature dance is the West Coast Swing. West Coast is my second least favorite dance. It’s a hard dance I still have problems.

I want to review the lessons I learned at De Anza to end the week:

Winter ’11: ?
Fall ’10: Use it or lose it. Take it or leave it.
Spring ’10: Timing is everything.
Winter ’10: Go with the flow.
Fall ’09: Everyone is human.

The Personal Side Of Me Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: