Saturday, January 20, 2018

SOMT: Fast Times At Ridgemont High

Blogger’s Note: SOMT stands for Sign Of My Times, an occasional blog sharing my thoughts how time changes life from when I was young to today.

The times were fast when the movie was released in 1982. Today's high school life fast is light speed. The coming of age, comedy, high school life is a classic movie. For example, the list of actors and actresses we know today include Sean Penn, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Judge Reinhold, Forest Whitaker, and Nicholas Cage. We also know Ray Walston and Phoebe Cates. I add the movie to my wish list. It was the first time I saw Fast Times At Ridgemont High movie. Most of the theme of high school in the 80s is true today such as sex, drugs, music, and naturally curious.

I compared and contrasted my high school life and today's high school life while I watched the movie. I concentrated 50% of my brain watching the movie and 50% of my brain thinking back to my past. I share some of my comparing and contrasting below:

*Telephone. Past teenagers lived the good life having their own phone in their rooms. They practiced maturity, privacy, and independence. It was the best way to have a real time conversation without being face to face. Times have changed with smart phones. Teenagers today can practice maturity, privacy, and independence anywhere. Email, texting, and social networking reduce the old school real time conversation talking on the phone.

*Go to a friend's house. Let's go to a friend's house to hang out. Real time socialization. Today's information age more teenagers are hanging out online via social networks. Perhaps, it's a generation change and/or culturally related. More parents aren't allowing their sons and daughters to invite their friends over. I don't know why. Responsible parents must allow their sons and daughters to invite their friends over at the house for safety reasons and to keep the parent-child bond strong.

*Take a chance. Leap of faith. Let life dictate. I'm speaking from experience. We can't control everything in life. Sometimes we must let life choose for us. Take a chance to let life set a pathway. My high school life was good and bad letting life dictate most my high school days. I admit I should have taken more control of my life. Perhaps, I learned an important high school life lesson I realized later in life: sometimes trust fate, destiny, and karma to bring good moments.

*Trial and error. We forgot the best way to learn via trial and error. Everyone is expected to learn quickly today. Everyone is expected to know everything today. No more discovery. No more patience. The information age makes learning instant without making errors; for example, Google the unknown. How are high school students supposed to learn without making mistakes?

*Meet people from other people. Another benefit going to a friend's house was the opportunity to meet new people. Past high school students expanded their circle of friends face to face or telephoning each other. High school students today can expand their circle of friends online without meeting face to face. Is meeting new people online genuine?

*Mail letters. Handwritten notes. Pictures on photo paper. Finally, letters, notes, and photos all on paper. Past high school students exchanged handwritten notes and developed pictures; moreover, personal message written on the back of a picture. Past high school students didn't have smart phones to text and to view pictures online. Past high school students mailed letters instead of emailing.

Email: feedbackininblog@innovateinfinitely.com

No comments: