Saturday, November 16, 2013

Top Ten Favorite Brand Cookies

Cookie Monster was my favorite monster when I was a kid watching Sesame Street. His life philosophy was, "you can never have too much of a good thing!" I agree. I'm fortunate I have great control eating cookies. I never ate an entire bag of cookies in a day. Perhaps, I should experience a life moment eating an entire bag of cookies in a day.

I exclude home baked cookies because anyone can follow a recipe or the directions printed on a cookie mix box. I favorite homemade cookies are chocolate chip, sugar, oatmeal, and vanilla. I dislike raisins and walnuts. Sprinkles are okay. I prefer soft and chewy instead of hard and crunchy.

Narrowing ten cookies was hard. I included discontinued cookies. I cheated combining all animal cookies to number ten and sandwich cookies to number nine. Here are the top ten cookies:

10. Animal Cookies (Various). Circus Animal, Barnum's Animals, Bugs Bunny, and Safeway are the brands I remember eating when I was little. I believe adults can eat animal cookies without embarrassment.

9. All Sandwich Cookies (Various). Oreo, Keebler's E.F. Fudge and Vienna Fingers, Snackwell's Vanilla Sandwich, and Mother's Taffy are good examples, I eat both chocolate and vanilla fillings; however, I prefer vanilla.

8. Bordeaux (Pepperidge Farm). The crunchy cookie has a taste I like to eat slowly. I'm the only person who eats Bordeaux in my family.

7. Major League Baseball Cookies (Mother's). Mother's produced two boxes of the honey graham cookies in the early 1990s. The blue box was the National League baseball teams and the red box was the American League baseball teams. Each graham cookie was the logo of the baseball teams.

6. Sugar Cookies (Mother's). I remember the packaging as I write the list. The sugar cookies hold a special place in my childhood memory because my mom always purchased a package when my brother or I asked.

5. Nilla Wafers (Nabisco). There was a long time period I never ate a Nilla Wafer. I believe my mom didn't buy the wafers because she was afraid I choke when I was a kid. Obviously, Nilla Wafers are in the top ten because it's vanilla.

4. Almost Home (Nabisco). Another childhood cookie memory. The cookies were soft and delicious. I cared for chocolate chip only. Forget the rest.

3. Striped Shortbread (Nabisco). I remember the first time I ate a striped shortbread cookie. The brand was Nabisco. My parents, brother, and I visited an open house home for sale. The sales agent had a plate of cookies next to her papers and business cards. She gave a cookie to me and my brother. I thought it was the most beautiful and most sophisticated cookie ever.

2. Lorna Doone (Nabisco). I also remember the first time I ate Lorna Doone. I was four or five years old visiting my grandparents in Santa Barbara, CA. I entered the kitchen. My grandmother gave me Lorna Doone cookies inside a cookie jar. The look and design of the cookie made me felt like I was living in the 1950s.

1. Milano (Pepperidge Farm). No cookie can top a Milano. I believe everyone in the world ate a Milano in their life. The cookie is strong such that it can't break easily. There's just enough chocolate between the cookies. Milano is simple and eloquent.

No comments: