Tuesday, January 26, 2016

SOMT: USB Flash Memory Drives


Blogger’s Note: SOMT stands for Sign Of My Times, an occasional blog sharing my thoughts how time changes life from when I was young to today.

My first USB flash memory drive was a 128MB Soyo Cigar Pro I purchased at Fry's Electronics in 1998. I paid $50. Click here to view a pic and description from overstock.com.

I admit I'm not a tech expert and I'm not a tech historian. Flash memory drives have been getting faster, bigger, and cheaper. The picture above is most of my USB flash drives. I have a SanDisk 4GB Micro Cruzer in my daily backpack and a Swiss Army 8GB on my keychain both not pictured.

The SanDisk Mini Cruzer 128MB and SanDisk Mini Cruzer 512MB were plenty of backing up files space when I ran Windows XP back in the early 2000s. I purchased the Micro Center 4GB in 2010 for my files when I attended De Anza College. The cost was $14.98. The SanDisk 8GB Micro Cruzer replaced the SanDisk 4GB Micro Cruzer for backing up pics. The Sandisk 16GB Ultra was purchased from a 3 pack on Black Friday 2012 for $19.99. The 16GBs are used for all backups. The SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 64GB was purchased on Black Friday 2015 for $17.00. My current USB flash memory drives are still sufficient. It's a matter of time when file sizes get bigger and more files to backup I use my 64GB.

I conclude my SOMT brief evolution on USB flash memory drives.

Email: feedbackininblog@innovateinfinitely.com

No comments: