Thursday, July 16, 2009

Bad News Is Good News When You Learn From The Bad News

"Once you embrace unpleasant news not as a negative but as evidence of a need for change, you aren't defeated by it. You're learning from it. It's all in how you approach failures." --Bill Gates, Business @ The Speed Of Thought

It's unfortunate schools fail to teach failure is one of the best ways to learn. Schools reward brilliance and perfection and punish failure and mistakes. The successful people and professional people who do the best at their jobs, their hobbies, and their expertise made lots and lots of mistakes, experimented by trial and error, and were honest with bad results. They take the negatives and find the positives. A positive attitude and positive outlook are required to accept the bad news and take action to improve and to innovate.

Here are some moments I turned bad news to good news in time:

*I attended Yaoi Con Sat Sep 27-Sun Sep 28. The con itself was good. Personally, I didn't have a good time. I'm not attending anymore saving me money and a weekend. I realized I wear my cosplays partially to future anime conventions on the day before the con begins to pick up my registration and badge. No need to wear my cosplays in full.

*I almost quit anime after Fanime Con 2004. I talked to a friend who graduated college and we talked about him quitting anime. The con was not a good con for me. I watched 17 episodes of Full Metal Alchemist on day three from midnight to 7am the next morning. I said to myself I'm going to cosplay as Edward Elric, the main character, during episode eight. Cosplaying saved my anime hobby and helped me learn to meet new people.

*I played softball with my co-workers in summer 2001. The first game we played we lost. Talk about me being overconfident we were going to win and me being in shape. The opposing team was younger and experienced. I had nothing, and my team had nothing. The next day I was sore. A week later after I recovered, I added the treadmill to my gym workout.

*I started a new gym workout plan which is two days of weights and one day of cardio. I got the workout plan from www.bodybuilding.com. The workout plan is for beginning weight training which includes cardio devoted to one full day or after doing weights. Thank you Punkbuster for the website suggestion.

*I had trouble passing my upper division math classes at San Jose State University. My initial major was Mathematics. In Fall Semester 1995, I changed my major to Economics. The last four semesters I did well in my Economics classes.

*In high school, I failed to pass the minimum writing proficiency test in my freshmen year. My mom purchased two books to improve my writing a week later. I passed the writing proficient test in my sophomore year. In college, I failed English 1B. The instructor was terrible, and I believed many students passed the class by cheating on the novels for the essay exams >==< I re-read the two books from high school and I wrote short stories for fun. I passed English 1B at a community college. In Fall Semester 1996, I took an Economics Writing Workshop class. My Economics professor taught me how to write, not my English classes XP

I'm lucky my bad moments are small moments now. I have not, and I hope not, to experience divorce, trouble with the law, and losing friends especially my close friends I regularly hang out, chat, and email because we stopped getting along.

I want to think everyone has the attitude of taking the bad news to learn and create good news in time; in particular, my family, friends, and acquaintances. Unfortunately, many do not. Many say they learn or they don't repeat their mistakes. They actually don't learn and repeat their mistakes again.

I'm growing up Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: