Tuesday, March 15, 2011

De Anza Week Mar 7, 2011

Mon Mar 7

I skipped classes because I got the flu yesterday. Today’s blog I share my treatments and my past experiences being sick and attending college.

The fatigue got the best of me resulting in flu sickness. The last time I got the flu was in April 1999. Most of my adult life sickness started with a sore throat and then a cough with mucus or phlegm running down my throat. I took different medications including Sudafed, Tylenol Cold & Allergy, and Actifed. I took NyQuil for the first time Saturday night and all day Sunday. I realized my recovery is faster after I stop taking medications. It was better to “tough it out” by taking Vitamin C, drinking green tea, eat chocolate, drink orange juice, and eat fruits. The last time I got a sore throat and cough with mucus in January 2009, I took Tylenol for a few days. I stopped taking Tylenol and continued Vitamin C, green tea, chocolate, orange juice, and fruits. My recovery went faster.

Moreover, mucus or phlegm is good. The mucus is the body’s way to move the bad stuff away from your body. I considered taking Mucinex. I did research that mucus helps a body recover from sickness. I didn’t take Mucinex and I tough it out.

The last time I skipped classes due to illness was Fall Semester 1996 at San Jose State. I went home after attending Macroeconomic Analysis. Today was the first time I skipped classes at De Anza due to illness. Technically, it was the second time. The first time happened in Spring ’09 taking Beginning Weight Lifting. It was a PE class and I don’t count it.

The fatigue bug, fatigue sickness, stress, crabby and down days, resulted in the flu. My feeling was I could have gotten sick anytime since the beginning of February. I was able to delay getting the flu. Perhaps, the timing was perfect this is the time to get the flu. Finals are three weeks away. I have an Intro to Bus mid-term on Wed I don’t need to pass because I already earned my two good scores out of three. I can’t wait to fully recover.

Tue Mar 8

I had trouble sleeping last night, yet I felt much better than Sunday. I felt more focused today since the beginning of February. No sickness, no stress, no crabby, not feeling down. I felt some fatigue obviously because I didn’t sleep well last night. The timing was in my favor getting the flu now instead of during finals.

Getting sick was inevitable. The weeks of survival delayed getting the flu, and the rest of the quarter is survival. All I care is passing my classes.

My classmate emailed me earlier today telling me I missed nothing in Intermediate Acct. I don’t care about Intro to Bus class. I just want to pass my classes and start fresh for Spring ’11. A, B, or C doesn’t matter.

It was another relaxing day in Quickbooks. We finished most of Chap 4 and the homework assignment was easy.

Wed Mar 9

From worse to getting better now, today was a real experience of turning 180 degrees. I woke up in the worse condition possible. I felt this week’s sickness was the worse sickness in my life. My eyes were red and watery, my mucus or phlegm had some blood, and my throat felt rough like sandpaper when I swallow. Unrelated to my sickness, I’m having minor gum problems. I rinse my mouth with hydrogen peroxide. I couldn’t sleep because my coughing kept me awake.

Then I realized I forgot the most important fluid one drinks when a person is sick. It was water. I forgot to drink water yesterday. I started drinking water in the morning. Hours later, my eyes and throat improved. I coughed less. I was able to take short periods of sleeps. There was no more blood in my mucus.

I thought about making an appointment to see my doctor at 10am. The last time I saw my doctor was March 2008. I emailed my classmate in Intermediate Acct and the instructor in Intro To Business I’m staying home. The rest of the day I drank water and stayed in bed. I also took 1,000mg of vitamin C and I drink a cup of green tea. I stopped eating chocolate, drinking coke, and orange juice.

The Personal Side Of Me Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: