Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Today I Want To Talk About The Numbers Greater Than Zero And Less Than Or Equal To One

Everyone experiences hits and misses. I experience more misses by one. I graduated from a different high school in my senior year because district budget cuts closed my high school in my junior year. I enrolled at San Jose State University one year too late because the California State University required additional General Education classes for incoming freshmen and current sophomores. There were San Jose State University classes for which I was the "guinea pig": Computer Science 46A professor taught C+ for the first time, Math 42 Discrete Mathematics professor taught for the first time, and the Physics department introduced the Physics 60 series entrance exams were required; fortunately, all became insignificant because I majored in Economics. There were changes at my first jobs after I graduated college. My first job the company purchased another company for which we merged and moved to a new location less than one year. My second job my manager moved to another country less than one year.

The misses by one or less continues. I stopped counting the number of times I was the second choice for a job hiring. I stopped counting the number of times I placed second playing tabletop games. My life is better if I have 20% more good luck.

The greater than zero and less than or equal to one applies to sports. If a baseball player earns an average of one extra hit a week during the season, then he is a hall-of-fame baseball player. If a football quarterback throws 50% more touchdowns, his football team wins the Super Bowl; likewise, for defensive ends increasing the number of sacks between 10%-20%. A basketball player becomes a starter when he increases his three-point percentage by 5%.

The Global Perspective

It's my intuition and it's my opinion the world is a better place for everyone when there are small changes. The movie Sicario Josh Brolin's character told Emily Blunt's character if 20% of the USA population stops snorting drugs, then the war on drugs is over. If the world population growth slows down by 20%, then the overpopulation fear disappears. If people increase sleep 10%, then stress is reduced and focus is strengthened. If we cut processed food consumption by 50%, then overall health increases. All percentage changes can make a positive difference.

No comments: