Wednesday, April 13, 2022

There Are Fewer Reward Opportunities

I worked hard tutoring math in college, serving customers at a movie rental store chain, and supporting brokers at two commercial real estate companies. I accepted additional responsibilities voluntarily or assigned. The primary reason was to strengthen my resume. Additional pay, promotions, and accolades were secondary. I received accolades at the movie rental store chain and my second commercial real estate company. Additional pay was the annual cost of living increase. No promotions.

I continued working hard after my second commercial real estate company. The degree of working hard decreased in quality and in quantity because I received neither additional pay, promotions, or accolades. There was a point I stopped working hard. I thought rationally. The attitude was screw it. The attitude was job completed--didn't do any more. My contracts were terminated. There was no temporary to permanent conversion. The job agencies failed to find my better employment. My resume was strengthen minimally. One could say my resume was tarnished. Bad luck and bad timing were factors.

There has been a growing attitude being nice, working hard, and accepting more assignments hoping for rewards, promotions, and/or accolades are false. The attitude worked in past workplaces. The attitude is nonexistent in today's workplace. There are exceptions such as professional sports. Fewer workers receive rewards, promotions, and/or accolades. One reason is fewer rewards, promotions, and/or accolades to be awarded. Another reason is management taking advantage of hard-working employees for less pay. A third reason is the fear of somebody taking another person's job. A fourth reason is politics. A fifth reason is the workplace environment system. I digress.

The bottom line is there are too many workers vying for the rewards, promotions, and/or accolades to be a better person professionally and personally. Unfortunately, there are not enough opportunities. Almost all workers reject the working attitude being nice, working hard, and accepting more assignments hoping for rewards, promotions, and/or accolades because the chances of receiving any or all are slim.

Update On A Past Blog

I was a victim of management taking advantage of me. I wrote the blog Take The Advantage, Use The Advantage on Jan 2, 2020. I was the management advantage. The ethics of management taking advantage of their employees is another conversation.

No comments: