Friday, August 19, 2022

Too Much Distractions

Almost everyone expresses their frustrations there is too much to do. There is too much work. I'm overwhelmed. The frustrations apply to students, parents, employed, and some unemployed. Some unemployed--the responsible unemployed--have lives, too. The responsible unemployed search for jobs, learn new skills, raise children if any, and prepare for the next opportunity. I digress.

Today's Information Age we can lose our focus easier than yesterday. The computers, laptops, tablets, televisions, and smart phones run multiple programs. Videos, audio, games, social media, memes, jokes, 24/7 news, pictures, text, and email are accessed with a finger tap or mouse click. Distractions are instant opening a program or visiting a website. One can say today's Information Age is a double frustration consisting of too much work and too much distractions. Add the last sentence to the number of reasons why more time is required to get responsibilities completed.

The Irony Of Distractions

I speak from personal experience. Distractions are stress busters. Distractions are stress relief. Distractions rest my brain. Distractions temporary alleviate boredom. I watch a quick YouTube video from a favorite scene in a movie. I open Windows Media Classic to hear a song. I watch a scene from my all-time favorite movie The Shawshank Redemption. I play a classic video game for 10 minutes to wake me up when I feel sleepy. I don't feel fatigue job searching, job training, and taking care of the house at the end of the day. Otherwise, the fatigue affects me for multiple days completing fewer responsibilities.

Perhaps, the solution is focus on both work and distractions one at a time. They're a win-win at the end of the day.

No comments: