Thursday, December 29, 2005

Working Out Ignorance

In 1998, I started working out at a gym in the business park where I worked my first job after I graduated college. The gym schedule was Tuesdays and Thursdays. I did sit-ups, weights, and stationary bike. I thought the schedule was the best ever.

A few months later, I learned it’s better to do the stationary bike first to pump up the heart. And Tuesdays were busy. I switched to Wednesdays and Fridays and I did stationary bike, sit-ups, and weights. I thought the schedule was the best ever.

In early 2001, I attended another gym located 10 minutes away from my home. I kept the same schedule. During the end of 2001, my company played softball once a week. Man, I had trouble running. As a result, I added the treadmill. I did stationary bike, sit-ups, treadmill, and weights. I kept my Wednesday and Friday days. I thought the schedule was the best ever.

In late 2004, there was a period where I never completed my workout schedule. I switched from stationary bike, sit-ups, treadmill, and weights to stationary bike, treadmill, weights, and sit-ups. The new workout schedule was successful. I thought the schedule was the best ever.

The beginning of 2005, I switched the days from Wednesdays and Fridays to Fridays and Sundays. I kept the stationary bike, treadmill, weights, and sit-ups schedule. I thought the schedule was the best ever.

Since August 2005, I removed sit-ups and I do stationary bike, treadmill, and weights. I do sit-ups at home. Sit-ups takes 5 minutes :-) And I switched the days from Fridays and Sundays to Thursdays and Fridays. I believe the schedule is the best ever . . . or is it?!?!?

The point of the Blog entry is never be ignorant. What if I kept the 2001 schedule which didn’t include the treadmill? I said to myself, “Nope. No change. The schedule is the best ever. I’m not going to change ever. Period. End of discussion.” Fortunately, I added the treadmill, and the treadmill has been a major benefit to me feeling good about myself both physically and mentally. The Thursday and Friday schedule is great because I work on other activities such as reading books and updating my webpage Monday thru Wednesday.

There is always something to do better. Always! Never accept the usual answer. Never accept the status quo. If you ever have the tiniest thought something can be innovated, there is a great chance innovation is possible. Never stop innovating.

Side notes: (1) I have modified gym schedules in case something happens during the week. For example, if I arrived late for whatever reason, I do the stationary bike and treadmill only. (2) I always stretched out at home before going to the gym. When I attended my first gym, I stretched there. (3) If I can’t go to the gym, I do stretches, sit-ups, and push-ups at home. Better to do something than nothing. (4) I have been going to the gym after dinner since 2001.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resume? I don't need a resume. Here is my resume: Innovator. I'm available to innovate for hire.

No comments: