Tuesday, January 24, 2006

$100.00 Lesson

I purchased a new cell phone earlier January. The plan is a pay-as-you-go plan using a calling card from a no-name cell phone provider. The provider uses the Sprint network. The cell phone is free with a $100.00 rebate. The lesson is when I receive a rebate form or any form regarding paying or receiving, read the entire terms and conditions as soon as possible—even read it two or three times to understand.

What happened was I read the highlighted box which said phones must be purchased between December 1, 2005 and January 31, 2006. Rebates must be postmarked before February 15, 2006. I never read the terms and conditions in fine print :-( Yesterday, I read the terms and conditions. The information said I must mail my rebate form 14 days after I purchase the phone; not postmarked before February 15, 2006. That’s confusing, man! I mailed the rebate form 15 days after I purchased the phone.

I recognize I screwed up and I should read the entire rebate form immediately after I got my phone. However, I don’t know what my provider was thinking when creating a rebate form with the misleading highlighted box. Did the provider intentionally want the highlighted box to mislead their customers so the provider pays less $100.00 rebates? Did the provider intentionally want the highlighted box because they want smart customers to submit their rebates and dumb customers who didn’t read the terms and conditions fail to submit their rebates? Smart companies create easy-to-read rebate forms because smart companies know customers have different intelligence and different ways of thinking. Smart companies accommodate many types of customers because the more happy customers, the more revenues the companies make.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resume? I don't need a resume. Here is my resume: Innovator. I'm available to innovate for hire.

No comments: