Saturday, August 23, 2014

Work Sat Aug 23, 2014

The store was dead working at the second location on Sun Aug 10. The only customer activity happened during the final holes in the PGA Championship golf tournament. Congrats to Rory McIlroy. The staff went home 45 minutes early before closing at 6:15pm. The bad attitude manager emailed me asking where were the pricing grids? Damn.

Tue Aug 12 was another day of too much deliveries and too much inventory. There was not enough selling. I had a conversation with the receiving clerk discussing the increased inventory. I was reminded during the dot com recession Cisco lost money due to a glut of inventory.

A bombshell hit the entire staff on Wed Aug 13. The owner informed everyone Fri's wine tasting was changed. Fourteen new wines replaced the initial tasting lineup. A part time worker and I scrambled delaying our primary responsibilities to add the new wines in the database. Many of us were angry. Management wondered why there were too many new wines still in the back of the store without prices. I wonder why.

The part time data entry/bookkeeper complained and expressed her frustrations there were too many emails exchanged and too many people confused. She said "crazy" many times. I told her assuming was bad. To assume makes an ass out of you and me.

Fri Aug 15 was a typical day. The store was filled for the tasting. The part time data entry poured wines in the tasting room. The bad attitude manager turned good for the day. He helped me with the outstanding invoices by handing some of the invoices to the shipping clerk. I took 30 minute lunches through the week because there was too much work.

The tasting attendance was respectable at the second store on Sat Aug 16. There was some activity. We could have more customers. I had lots of free time I played receiving clerk. I priced cases, cleaned up the back area, and tidied up the kitchen.

The drive to the store was another instance I always arrive late to work no matter what time I leave the house. Google traffic maps stated the freeway was jammed with cars. I saw the freeway bridge seeing no traffic backup. I was in the middle lane. I didn't have enough time and there were too many cars to merge to the freeway entrance safely. All of the signaled intersections were red lights. I clocked out work 25 minutes early.

I clocked out 1 hour and 15 minutes early on Sun Aug 17. The manager closed the second store early after a dead day. I updated my apps on my phone during my long free time.

The deliveries continued on Tue Aug 19. I was exhausted. I was happy Wed Aug 20 was a day off. It was my first Wed day off.

There were too many invoices on my laptop on Thur Aug 21. I didn't finish. Everyone arrived to work late. All the freeways were congested. However, it wasn't the latest I clocked in.

I submitted my two week notice on Fri Aug 22. The first owner choked at the beginning of her sentence after I handed my resignation letter. The second owner congratulated me when I drove to the second store after my shift was over at the first store. I encountered all red lights at all signaled intersections. I told the receiving clerk and two front end sales I submitted my two week notice. One of the two front end sales I told we were watching the assistant manager conducting an interview. She shared her thoughts about too much inventory. She wasn't the only worker with those thoughts.

I carried 40 pounds of ice from the supermarket to the second store on Sat Aug 23 for a big tasting event involving caviar. The turnout was good. I was productive completing all pricing grids for all new products for the week. The store opened late because the co-owner left his keys inside the store. We waited for the manager.

Email: feedbackininblog@innovateinfinitely.com

No comments: