Saturday, March 27, 2021

2020 Year In Review

Let's start with the nominations. I provide feedback in the thoughts section.

Seven nominations for 2020 Moment Of The Year

1. COVID-19 changes. I grouped all temporary changes and permanently changes caused by the pandemic. They are the following: making homemade bread, boiling water instead of buying water in the supermarkets, working out at home with dumbbells and plates, jogging in the neighborhood, closing windows on hot weather days, opening windows on hot weather evenings, shaving two days a week, trying new restaurants, supporting more local businesses, increasing productivity because more free time, decreasing obligations outside the house, roasting tri-tip or round roast in the oven, exercising in the afternoons instead of the evenings, job training in the evenings instead of the afternoons, reducing laundry, filling my car with gas less often, and setting the air conditioning to 80 degrees instead of 78 degrees while turning off the Patton fan. I admit my neighborhood supporting local businesses is tough because most of them are terrible. Three examples of increase productivity were not driving to the gym saving me 56 minutes weekly, faster job searching because there were fewer job openings, and shopping less often because no need to buy water.

2. Final Fantasy VI. I come out of video game retirement. I completed my first Final Fantasy video game.

3. Harry Potter. I finished reading the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling. It took me decades to read the books.

4. Job training. I continue my self-job training adding finance, adding dashboards, and combining the Sublime Text practice drill, Git, and Linux practice drill in one day. I wrote my first API which is a Twitter API downloading tweets.

5. Life skills training. I self-taught myself how to use a navigational compass. Learn life skills now instead of later. There are more life skills training coming soon. My self-training genius is included.

6. New desktop. I built a new desktop because Microsoft ended Windows 7 support on Jan 2020.

7. The first responders, doctors, nurses, and hospital staff. These are the people helping other people deal with the COVID-19 pandemic. They are worth my personal nomination. I can't do any of their jobs.

Explanation: The obvious no chances of winning are Final Fantasy VI, job training, and life skills training. Nobody cares about video games and trainings. The trainings are my daily life until I find a job; otherwise, I'm a dumb bum. Harry Potter is inappropriate for an adult to win the moment of the year. Timing and luck are part of the reason my new desktop deserves recognition. I changed my job-training schedule, my new desktop is faster, my new desktop doesn't freeze, and desktop hardware deals for Black Friday 2020 was fewer compared to Black Friday 2019 when I purchased most of the hardware. More COVID-19 temporary changes are becoming permanently. I want to recognize the people working directly with COVID-19 saving lives.

What Won: The first responders, doctors, nurses, and hospital staff.

What Should Have Won: The first responders, doctors, nurses, and hospital staff.

My Thoughts: I'm in the minority. 2020 was a good year despite the COVID-19 global pandemic, global recession, and unprecedent pandemic life. The year slowed down. I was productive. I relaxed. I was boring. I anticipate boredom as a nominee for 2021. Boring could be good. It was boring at first. It's exciting at last. The successful people don't say the process is boring. Patience is a virtue.

I maintained my body weight around 165 pounds. Luck was in my favor not getting the virus and not getting sick. Physical workouts were consistent with my mini home gym and cardio workouts. Luck was also in my favor no traumatic events changed my life in a bad way. Watching one movie a week, eating healthy meals, minimizing junk food, and reading books continued.

2020 Letter Grade: B. 2020 was a good year since 2015. 2019 was barely a good year 51% good and 49% bad; although I could reward myself 60% good and 40% bad. Two good years in a row. The last time I had two good years in a row were 2011-2012.

2020 was another 2008. 2020 was another setup year for something big coming soon.

Update On A Past Blog

I factory reset my Samsung Galaxy S7 on Tue Mar 23, 2020. I wrote a blog I Purchased The Samsung Galaxy S7 Five Years Ago Today inspired from factory resetting. I found out later in the day there was a bug on Google's WebView on Android. Sources: The Verge and XDA Developers. The bright side factory resetting my S7 is my phone runs faster and battery time improved.

I'm changing my 2015 Moment Of The Year and my 2016 Moment Of The Year. The 2015 Moment Of The Year written on Jan 14, 2016 is changed from New Feelings to Zion National Park. The 2016 Moment Of The Year written on Feb 5, 2017 is changed from Zion National Park to Steve Jobs' biography written by Walter Isaacson.

No comments: