Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Xmas 2019

My Christmas 2019 holiday was better than 2018. Christmas 2019 was on the line between good and bad, between joy and depression, and between optimism and pessimism. I put up the Christmas tree on Thur Dec 19. It was the first time I put up the tree less than a week before Christmas. The past years I put up the Christmas tree during the Thanksgiving holiday since we got a new tree in 2011.

Putting up the Christmas tree late began new Christmas holiday trends which actually began in 2018. Here are the trends for future Christmas holidays.

*Late Christmas Decorations. Neighbors who traditionally Christmas decorate their residences had been completed late. It's nobody's fault. There is too much to do. There are more priorities. More time is required to complete priorities.

*Fewer Christmas Decorations. Some neighbors choose not to Christmas decorate their residences for fear of theft or vandalism. The neighborhood has seen packages stolen, shoes by their front door stolen, potted plants stolen, and car break-ins. Some neighbors who traditionally Christmas decorate their residences tone down the decorations for fear of theft or vandalism and/or less time to decorate.

*Lucky Roof And Heat. I saw two fat people shopping on Mon Dec 23. They were likely father and daughter judging their ages. They were fat like the people from the TLC series Family By The Ton. I thought yes they were fat. I also thought they were fortunate they have a roof for shelter, heat to stay warm, and a bed to sleep.

The San Francisco Bay Area has seen an increase in homeless population. There are too many people. There are not enough homes. Home prices are expensive. More people can't afford rent. I predict more people become homeless celebrating Christmas without a roof and without heat. People with roof and heat must be considered lucky.

*Keep Fun In Check. I continue the Lucky Roof And Heat. I control my Christmas joy. I don't take Christmas for granted. I may not celebrate Christmas next year for any reason.

*Losing The Christmas Feeling. A Charlie Brown Christmas is true. More people are forgetting the true meaning of Christmas. Business headlines said holiday spending is up. Welcome to consumerism. I admit I'm losing the Christmas feeling two ways.

My first feeling loss refers to the Lucky Roof And Heat. More people are worrying their next Christmas may be without a roof and no heat. More money, more resources, and higher costs are the reality to live comfortably in the San Francisco Bay Area. More people are getting tired. More people can't focus on the Christmas feeling. Where is their Christmas miracle? There are not enough miracles for everyone. Unfair.

My second feeling is the Christmas holiday is the same Christmas holiday. My Black Friday purchases have been mostly bare necessities and upgrades. It's good because I splurge less on fun. Also, I listened to zero Christmas music for the first time. I didn't listen to a radio station playing Christmas music during the holidays. The family meals are the same. My Christmas holiday has been routine too long. Maybe my Christmas holiday changes when I achieve freedom.

*Mailed Christmas Cards. My parents told me they received fewer Christmas Cards from the mail. Why? All reasons are true including higher postage cost, more priorities less time to prepare Christmas cards, and convenience emailing Christmas cards or posting Christmas cards on social media.

*More Gifts To Unwrap. Less Cards With Money. I realize giving cash is boring. I elaborate at Update On A Past Blog below.

Update On A Past Blog

I'm reading the entire Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling series. I'm on Year 5. Minor, minor spoiler. Harry, Ron, and Hermione exchanged Christmas gifts during the Christmas vacation at Hogwarts. The Harry Potter scene inspired me to give my nephew and niece board games for Christmas. It was the first time I gave them gifts to unwrap. The past Christmases I gave money. Money is one of the worse gifts to give. I wrote a blog What Is The Worst Gift on Nov 29, 2005 saying the worse gift is gift cards. Give cash instead. I correct myself. Gift cards and cash are the worse gifts.

No comments: