Wednesday, December 23, 2020

A Second Look At 2019

It's the time I look back at my 2019 blogs to give myself feedback. The goals delaying one year are relearning from my mistakes, reinforcing my lessons, reminding myself my moments, refreshing acquired knowledge, rediscovering new wisdom, correcting errant blogs, and sharing changes. The 11 blogs are also the 2019 best blogs.

1. 2018 Christmas Holiday Firsts: Stress, Cowardness, Comfort Food
Date: Sun Jan 13
Summary: I experienced all stress, cowardness, escapism, and depression during a Christmas holiday for the first time. I had experience depression itself in past Christmas holidays decades ago.
Feedback: I'm fortunate I experience none of the above in 2019 and the current 2020. We're human beings. Everyone experiences depression. I experience another 2018 Christmas Holiday in time. I anticipate a faster recovery because of past depression experience.

2. Expect More Sad Days For More People
Date: Sat Feb 16
Summary: Life becomes more difficult for more people such as higher cost of living, fewer opportunities, and deeper personal struggles.
Feedback: I realized I wrote political opinions when I read the blog in 2020. I digress. Fast forward one year and ten months later. Nobody talks about sadder days ahead if the present paths stay their courses pre-COVID-19. The fortunate doesn't talk about the unfortunate. The fortunate ignores the conversation. Never take life for granted. An unfortunate event can happen. Are the fortunate prepare to not become unfortunate?

In addition, nobody expected a pandemic in Mar 2020. Prices continue to increase. Costs continue to increase. More people are unemployed due to COVID-19. Blame the virus. We're in a global recession. There are fewer opportunities; however, some economic indicators state the contrary.

COVID-19 has changed the world temporarily and permanently. Time will tell how the world responds to COVID-19 being in charge currently.

3. Another Perspective On Quiet People
Date: Wed Feb 20
Summary: There are quiet people to be undisturbed because they're in deep thought.
Feedback: Here is another another perspective on quiet people. There are people present. There is nobody to talk. These quiet people have zero confidence to communicate with the present people. There is no trust. These present people are weak. These present people lack wisdom. These present people lack intelligence. They can't handle the stronger, wiser, and smarter quiet people. They can't handle the truth. These present people deny the quiet people's thoughts. They don't understand the quiet people's feelings. Their minds are closed; the quiet people are wrong. There are reasons to stay quiet.

4. Did The Greatest Human Generation Doom Their Grandchildren And Their Future?
Date: Thur Mar 14
Summary: The greatest human generation hard work yesterday made life too easy today.
Feedback: COVID-19, climate change, and racial injustice are the truths serums. The truths are exposed in 2020. Faking is difficult in 2020. The problems the greatest human generation unsolved in the past are the present problems. The mistakes ignored in the past are repeated. The problems the greatest human generation wishfully hoped disappeared in the past are creating madness, conflicts, confusion, and despair in the present.

5. I Wasn't A Dumb Child After All
Date: Wed Apr 17
Summary: My poor short-term memory I discovered is the reason I struggled in my childhood.
Feedback: Nobody said throughout my K-12 school years I fell through the cracks education-wise while I got help for my learning problems. The special teachers, special classes, and additional teacher help failed. Further, I was diagnosed with a learning disability in my second year at San Jose State University. My English 1B instructor submitted a recommendation to the Disabled Students Services for testing. I was diagnosed with a poor comprehension learning disability. I read it. I didn't comprehend it. Poor reading comprehension was a misdiagnosis; however, if learning professionals says poor comprehension is the same as poor short-term memory, then I accept. If someone tells me poor short-term memory is a learning problem, then I respond, "no problem." Otherwise, I never had a learning problem. I need additional time, practice, drills, and repetition to remember everything I learn. I'm a smart-ass when I fully understand.

The additional time, practice, drills, and repetition to remember are the same as an adult. I apply to my job training and job refreshing six days a week. There is nothing wrong looking up documentation such as writing Python code or writing Excel formulas. Old-school teachers expected students must memorize formulas. Old-school teachers expected students solved math problems without calculators. Times have changed. Memorization is not required. Calculators are mandatory. We look up anything we forget on the internet. There is too much to know.

Further, professionals at their careers can't memorize everything. Professionals at their careers don't memorize everything. The professionals include the sports, engineers, medical, programmers, and analysts. Students and professionals look up formulas, templates, and documentations in books or online resources. They look up information to remind themselves. They look up information to practice. Look who's talking now old-school teachers.

I admit to anyone I have poor short-term memory. I'm not ashamed to admit my weakness. It's my answer in job interviews when I answer the what's my weakness question.

There is a chance a student not doing well in school is not dumb. He or she needs another way to learn. If the student not doing well is lacking motivation, then no motivation is a different problem and not a learning disability.

6. Oldsmobile Complimentary Tape Cartridge Cassette Song List
Date: Sat Jun 29
Summary: I posted YouTube videos for each song in the cassette.
Feedback: I created a YouTube playlist to listen Oldsmobile Complimentary Tape Cartridge Cassette Songs 1981.

7. Too Many People
Date: Mon Jul 15
Summary: A newspaper article a church offered 44 affordable apartment units. More than 5,000 applications were filed. The article inspired me to blog there are too many people on planet Earth.
Feedback: An economist studied why there are fewer affordable housing in the United States. His research concluded older residences match market rent prices because the older residences must follow rental laws making their older residences rentable; for example, working heater, running water, providing a refrigerator, and cleaned floors. Landlords pass the costs to renters. Almost all apartments and homes for rent the prices are the same regardless of the residence's age.

On the other hand, use intuition. No analysis required. There are too many people living in the world. The world is overpopulated. People are living longer. People are living their lives longer.

There are eight blogs which talked about too many, increase, don't take life for granted, and more work required blogs in 2019. These eight 2019 blogs also talked about higher costs, more time, complex skills in careers, rising tide raises all boats, more *fill in the blank*, higher *fill in the blank*, fewer opportunities, more people, and self-responsibility to train or to learn.

8. Where Is The Intelligence?
Date: Sat Aug 24
Summary: The second look is on the Update On A Past Blog You're Smarter Than You Think written on Nov 7, 2018.
Feedback: I learned about the Dunning-Kruger effect which is a cognitive bias in which people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability. The Wiki link continues stating the following: It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence. As described by social psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger, the bias results from an internal illusion in people of low ability and from an external misperception in people of high ability; that is, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others." Colloquially, people experiencing this bias are said to be "on Mount Stupid."

A psychologist explained another way saying people learn something quickly or learn something by summary. Afterwards, these people become experts at the something.

9. Bruce Lee Was The Man Revisited
Date: Mon Nov 4
Summary: I blogged more Bruce Lee wisdom from the move Enter The Dragon.
Feedback: Quoted for emphasis. "The enemy has only images and illusions behind which he hides his true motives. Destroy the image and you will break the enemy" applies to everyday people. A person who can see past another person's images and illusions see the true person.

"A martial artist has to take responsibility for himself and accept the consequences of his own doing" applies to everyday people, too. Replace martial artist with person. The quote is the following, "A person has to take responsibility for himself and accept the consequences of his own doing."

The best of the best. The masters of the masters. They never say their highest achievements are having no techniques. Teaching no techniques is practically impossible. It's easier to teach the techniques first. Also, intuition can't be taught.

10. The Lack Of Effort Is What People Must Be Angry
Date: Sun Nov 24
Summary: People are not angry for misinformation, misunderstandings, and miscommunications. People are angry for lack of correcting.
Feedback: I get angry when people sit around acting dumb to solve problems. Perhaps, I must become the initiator, become the leader, and teach people how to correct misinformation, misunderstandings, and miscommunications.

11. Why Are Most Straight A Students 4.0+ Students Not Millionaires?
Date: Sat Dec 21
Summary: People don't need to be smart to be motivated.
Feedback: The blog may be my best blog on motivation. Desire is more important than knowledge. Motivation is more important than intelligence. Moreover, seek new adventures and experience new experiences infinitely. Never stop learning. Innovate infinitely.

The lessons of owning businesses, creating new inventions, and investing these millionaires teach us desire is more important than knowledge or I will is more important than I know. Financial discipline is a key. Never stop learning. Never settle. Further, get out of the classroom, learn outside the classroom, learn good communication skills, learn good social skills, be a professional, and never stop making mistakes--learn from your mistakes.

The following blogs are honorable mentions: Perspective Pictures, The Real Life Match Game, and Roll The Dice When You Wake Up.

No comments: